DNS and VPN

  • From: Nicholas Palmer <NICK@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:52:22 -0700

Hi all,

I've configured a Gateway to Gateway VPN as per Tom's book and got that
working just fine now(I had to go with PPTP instead of L2TP since I couldn't
get the Certifcates to work correctly, but that's a different problem).
Once I'm connected I can sucessfully ping IP address on the other network
fine.  If I use terminal server to connect to the remote server(the actual
ISA server that is the VPN host also) I can ping back to my IP addresses and
that works also :).  The one thing I can't seem to make work is DNS.  If I
do a VPN in from my home machine to my ISA server, I get my networks DNS
server, I can see it in the ipconfig /all results.  But if I do an ipconfig
/all on either of the VPN servers when the connection is up, all that I get
for the DNS servers are my local ones and 127.0.0.1.  I don't see the DNS
server for the remote system.  Do I have to add the DNS server for the
remote system manually or is there something in the VPN configuration that
I'm missing.  Also, our server allocates from an IP range while the other
systems server uses DHCP.

Thanks in advance.
Nick.

Nicholas Palmer