DNS Issue...I think?

  • From: "Scott" <scott.clarke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 06:05:16 -0600

Hi all,

Here is my problem...I will include as much detail as possible.

My Goal: Trying to get OWA and website working by using a different domain
name than our Active Directory name.

Working thus far: Website

webmail.mynewdomain.com working in our mydomain.com domain.  We have an
Exchange 2000 server (also internal DNS) behind our ISA 2000 firewall.
Webmail.mydomain.com is entered in our internal DNS with both MX and A
records and also on the public DNS servers and ISA publishes the server
fine for our existing webmail (SSL enabled).

We have purchased a new SSL certificate for our new webmail.  I have
placed the entries in internal DNS to point to the internal IP of the
Exchange server and associated a public IP for the public side.  However
when I access the new webmail.mynewdomain.com from the Internet I get a
message stating that the certificate is invalid.  After research I
discovered that our ISA should be able to resolve the DNS name of the site
to a local address...the existing webmail does, when on the ISA I ping
webmail.mydomain.com and it return the value of the internal address.  But
when I do the same for the new site (webmail.mynewdomain.com) it resolves
the public address and not internal one...thus my publishing of the site
is not working.

Help...I hope the above is not too confusing.

Scott