Complicated ISA Config - To Do, or Not To Do

  • From: "Chuck Brown" <cbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:26:25 -0700

Hello,

We have a customer that is running MS SBS 2003, which has as an optional
component ISA Server 2000.  They are also running a Terminal Server on
windows 2003.  We are installing SurfControl, which, under a TS
environment, requires ISA server to properly limit and identify the TS
users.  This customer also has several remote sites, and all of these
sites are connected to the main site via Cisco Pix VPNs.  The idea is to
force all internet traffic from the remotes back through the head end to
run them through the SurfControl.

What we are realizing is that we know very little about ISA server, and
this is not exactly the standard ISA config.  Can an expert tell us if (a)
this is an error prone installation, asking for trouble, and if not (b) if
it is something we should attempt to do, or does it require the services
of an expert in ISA?  We are quite competant with W2K3, firewalls,
terminal server, etc, but just don't have much experience with ISA.

Thanks