Browsing aborted

  • From: "Paul Sloane" <sloanepr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:52:32 -0600

Configuration

One dual Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB ECC DDR, Windows 2000 Small Business Server,
Exchange 2000 and ISA.  All have had the latest patches applied.  Active
Directory.   Dual integrated Intel Pro 82550PM Server Ethernet
Controllers, one with external I.P. address, one with internal I.P.
address.  External NIC is attached to FlowPoint 2210, 192kb SDSL, router
(Covad ISP).  The 2210 is configured with a unique external I.P. address
located on the same subnet as the ISA (domain controller).  Internal NIC
connected to a Kingston 10/100 switch.  Workstations are a mix of Windows
98 SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP, all with fixed internal I.P.
addresses.   Internet Explorer versions are 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0. All 21 users
are members of the BackOffice Internet Users group.

Problem

From any workstation, including the server, users are able to receive
internal and external email, via the POP3 connector, with no problem.  The
Internet browsing is another matter.  User connects to a website such as
Westlaw.  After viewing 5 to 7 web pages, Internet Explorer stops pulling
new pages through the router.  The user sees the mouse courser along with
the hourglass and no new page appears.  Internet Explorer generates no
error messages and the hourglass will remain as long as the user allows
it.  The user is unable to navigate to another page.  Simultaneously the
Flowpoint 2210 router utilization decreases to a negligible level, ~2% of
192kb.

Question

What in the ISA configuration is causing this condition?  What did I miss
in its configuration?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Paul Sloane
sloanepr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx