[isalist] [Book/2004] Quick followup question about FWC & Proxy

  • From: "Jonathon J. Howey" <Jonathon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:34:26 -0600

Just started resuming reading the book, and I came across this paragraph in
Configuring ISA 2004, page 442 / 443:

-The picture shows the 'Use a web proxy server" checkbox is checked
-Paragraph states: "The Use a Web Proxy server option allows you to configure
the Web browser to use the ISA 2004 as its Web Proxy, but without the benefits
of the autoconfig. script information. This setting provides higher performance
than the SecureNAT (now SecureNET i suppose) client configuration but you do
not benefit from the settings contained in the autoconfig. script.  The most
important configuration settings in the autoconfig. script includes site names
and addresses that should be used for Direct Access. For this reason, you
should avoid this option unless you do not wish to use Direct Access to bypass
the Web Proxy service to access selected Web Sites."

So this means that if the checkbox is checked, the Direct Access list will be
ignored in an environment where all three client types are used? Furthermore,
if the client's browser for example has a proxy filled in, will this FWC client
setting step in, or does the proxy itself still have high precidence?  When
will i see this setting start to affects Direct Access in a three-client
enviroment if the proxy always handles Web Traffic (according to p.415).

Thanks,

PS: Where do you talk about the IP Routing setting again in the book? I can't
find it in the index, and it's starting to bug me as i read about it, but i
can't find the page it's on... I thought it was Chapter 6 or prior, but i must
be skimming over it. Cheers.
Jonathon J. Howey
MENSE Inc.
P 780.409.5620