Book Question

  • From: "Kenny Mann" <Kennymann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:13:19 -0600

So tax refund came in and I've started ordering books out the wazoo.
Two LDAP, 1 Postifx, and some other misc things.
Now it comes to Firewall.
We use ISA Server 2000 at work.
As I browse through the archives I don't see much of a discussion aside
from "hey, check this new book out".
I'd like to believe I'm fairly competent, so I don't think I'm a newbie
to the internet.
So the question comes up: What is their to learn?
It's a bold and wide question to which I'm sure the reply is: What do
you want to learn?
My only thought is, I don't know where to start.
So, before I post I browse the website looking for stuff already and
don't find anything recent and helpful.
I see a books link at the top/bottom of the page:
http://www.isaserver.org/pages/books.asp
I give it a clickety click and I see some books.

One of them is specific to 2004, another to 2000, and some others to
certifications.

I'd like to assume that the certification books would contain enough
info as the others (if not more), so what the heck? I'll get certified.
Is any book just as good as the other?

I'm currently leaning towards this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735710929/isaserver

The other side to this is I don't want to learn just Microsoft ISA
Server (if possible). It's likely I'll be working with OpenBSD and some
Linux. Perhaps some tequilla in the middle, I dunno. While it seems the
certification book would be slightly exclusive to other OS's I'd think
that a firewall is a firewall is a firewall, the concepts are pretty
much the same it's just the method of using them?

So, coming from a mere peon who's at the end of a workday and low on
caffiene, I ask this list for which one to buy -- OR -- is this one of
those try and learn things? (wait, isn't that everything in this field?)

Perhaps there is a preferred path to learning The Microsoft Way (TM) or
something special?

If this topic has already been brought up, then I will beg for
forgiveness and offer girl scout cookies (made of fresh girl scouts).

/hungry for knowledge

Kenny