[interphen] The non closure of the Centre for Professional Ethics at Keele

  • From: David Hunter <idmonfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interphen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 21:35:38 +0000

We are delighted to announce that due to substantial discussions over the last
two days the proposals to close PEAK (the Centre for Professional Ethics at
Keele University) have been withdrawn.

This decision was accepted and endorsed at today's meeting of Keele
University's Senate.
This means that existing and prospective students need not be concerned about
their studies.
PEAK remains committed to teaching and research excellence - and is actively
recruiting for next year's intake to our courses.

However, we are required to produce a business plan outlining ways to ensure
the required cost savings over the next few weeks. This means that we may need
to reactivate this campaign, but for now, we are focusing on positive
developments for the future.

We would like to thank all of our friends and colleagues from across the world
for their support.
We would particularly like to thank all those that took the time to write
letters of support that went to our VC, DVC and Dean.

It was very important to our case that they considered our international
reputation and you all made this obvious in the strongest terms.

This has been a difficult week (to say the least) for all of us and our
families. However, your solidarity and support has really helped us to put the
evidence and arguments forward.

This is a remarkable victory in a relatively short period of time - and it is
due to you all.

David Hunter
Lecturer in Ethics