November Internet Connections Newsletter

  • From: "Ann Dixon" <adixon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <internet_connections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:53:16 -0500

Internet Connections For Educators
November 2004
Vol. 7 Issue 3
Editor:  Ann Dixon, MISD Technology Teacher Trainer

Welcome, new subscribers!  Find this valuable?  Forward it to other
interested teachers.
and state.

publication which seeks to discover new teaching methods and to make use of
technology in education. (US)

Comics on the Federal Reserve System (most but not all are free)
<http://app.ny.frb.org/publications/result.cfm?comics=1>

News From NASA
I am participating as a NASA Solar System Ambassador as well as an JPL Ocean
Envoy.  These programs give me to opportunity to learn what is new with
NASA.  This section of the newsletter will highlight some of the best
science and space materials I have learned about through the programs.

AstroVenture  -- Search for and Design a Habitable Planet
<http://astroventure.arc.nasa.gov/>

USGS Map a Planet
<http://pdsmaps.wr.usgs.gov/>

Science News for Kids -Student oriented science articles, games and puzzles
<http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/>

 November Events and Themes
Calendar and Lesson Ideas
<http://www.umkc.edu/imc/november.htm>

Birthday List
<http://www.umkc.edu/imc/novbir.htm>

Connected Classroom Calendar
<http://www.classroom.com/community/connection/calendar.jhtml>

Special Days
Patriotic Links

American Flag Games
<http://www.surfnetkids.com/games/American_Games/>

American Stationary Primary
<http://www.primarygames.com/print_zone/stationery/america.htm>

Flag Labels
<http://www.avery.com/911fund/flag_templates.html>

American Stationary Older
<http://www.primarygames.com/print_zone/stationery/older/america.htm>

Patriotic Crafts
<http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/patriotic/>

Nov. 6 John Phillip Sousa?s Birthday
<http://www.dws.org/sousa/about.htm>

His Music
<http://www.dws.org/sousa/works.htm>

Veteran's Day, November 11
Department of Veteran Affairs: Veterans Day
<http://www.appc1.va.gov/vetsday/index.cfm>

Stars and Stripes Forever: Veterans Day Quiz
<http://www.familyeducation.com/quiz/0,1399,3-3830,00.html>

Word Puzzles for Veteran?s Day
<http://www.newsword.com/nonfiction/LestWeForgetWorksheets.pdf>

Abigail Adams Birthday November 11
The wife of John Adams left her country a most remarkable record as patriot,
First Lady, wife of one President, and  mother of another.
Abigail Adams
<http://www.umkc.edu/imc/adamsa.htm>

White House Accounts of First Ladies
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/firstladies/aa2.html>

Abraham Lincoln Gettysburg Address November 19, 1863

Lincoln's Gettysburg Address November 19,1863
<http://lcweb.loc.gov/exhibits/gadd/ga.html>

Lincoln Online
<http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln.html>

Colonial America

Plimoth 1681
An interactive look at the lives of the Pilgrims, and Wampanoags.
<http://teacher.scholastic.com/thanksgiving/plimoth/index.htm>

A Day with Felicity
Taken from the American Girls collection, students can make their own
adventure in Colonial America.
<http://www.americangirl.com/agcn/felicity/game2_day/index.html>

Colonial America K-12 Resources
<http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/colonial.htm>

Scenes from the Eastern Woodlands
<http://nativetech.org/scenes/>

Critical Thinking Lesson Plans for Thanksgiving

The People on the Mayflower
<http://www.umkc.edu/imc/mayflow.htm>

Plymouth and Her People
<http://pilgrims.net/plymouth/history/>

Mayflower Voyage
<http://teacher.scholastic.com/thanksgiving/mayflower/index.htm>

Thanksgiving Poems, Plays and Fun

Thanksgiving Songs and Poems
http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/songspoems9.html

The Meal Must Go On
<http://tqjunior.thinkquest.org/5291/skit.html>

Let's Talk Turkey
<http://www.umkc.edu/imc/turkeys.htm>

Thanksgiving Word Puzzles
<http://www.newsword.com/nonfiction/ThanksgivingWorksheets.pdf>

Thanksgiving Sites
<http://www.holidays.net/thanksgiving/>
<http://www.night.net/thanksgiving/>
<http://www.kidsdomain.com/holiday/thanks/>
<http://maryland-info.com/thankskids.htm>

Spotlight Sites
Math

Speed Math --High powered math games from Jefferson Labs.

SpeedMath Deluxe
<http://education.jlab.org/smdeluxe/index.html>

SpeedMath - Addition and Subtraction
<http://education.jlab.org/smadd/index.html>

SpeedMath - Multiply and Divide
<http://education.jlab.org/smmult/index.html>

SpeedMath - Inequalities
<http://education.jlab.org/sminequality/index.html>

Reading Language Arts

Thanksgiving Story Prompts
<http://abcteach.com/Thanksgiving/storytarters.htm>

Thanksgiving Writing Exercises
<http://abcteach.com/Christmas/turkey.htm>
<http://abcteach.com/Thanksgiving/menu.htm>

Thanksgiving Shape Book Patterns
<http://abcteach.com/shapebooks/Holidays/hat.htm>

Science

New York, NY (October 20, 2004) Imaginova(tm) Corp, publishers of Starry
Night Astronomy Software, and Spitz Inc, the world's largest supplier of
planetarium systems, have partnered to donate copies of Starry Night free of
charge to qualifying teachers and schools across the US and Canada. The
program, "Starry Night Space-to-School" represents a strong, ongoing
commitment by both companies to support science in the classroom.  The
software donation program, valued at more than $100,000, will focus on
qualifying high school and middle-school science classrooms
nationwide."We're looking for those teachers with an interest in astronomy
and passion for science - our software can help them open up the universe to
their students in a way never before possible" said Mr. Meyers.  Any teacher
or school administrator who is interested in applying shouldemail:
spacetoschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:spacetoschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Earth Science World Image Bank
Hundreds of high quality images are available for topics ranging from
archeology and beaches to waterfalls and weather.
<http://www.earthscienceworld.org/imagebank/index.html>

Forces of Nature
<http://www.nationalgeographic.com/forcesofnature/>

Social Studies
"One-Stop Research" is a search engine that
digs back into "a century of highly informative articles, maps, photos,
video and other National Geographic resources."
<http://www.nationalgeographic.com/onestop/>

National Geographic News for Kids
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/kids/>

MapMachine
<http://nationalgeographic.com/mapmachine/>
 Not only does it zoom in and out and offer all kinds of maps (historical,
street, topographical, ecological, etc.), it links to short country profiles
and fact files, as well as to the CIA Fact Book entry for that country.

Early Childhood

Thanksgiving Poems
<http://preschoolexpress.com/music_station03/music_station_nov03.shtml>

Music/Fine Arts

Music Ease Traditional Songbook - This is a shareware download that provides
transposable sheet music for over 300 traditional kids and adult song
classics. Transpose, print, and play. Optionally display chord names/fret
diagrams, tablature, display as standard round notes or as shape notes,
scale to different sizes and automatically reformat, re-arrange/delete
verses, play with band accompaniment.
<http://www.downloadsnet.com/software/view.php?id=12271>

General
International Digital Children?s Library - a most amazing site for children?
s literature from around the world.  Check it out!
<http://www.icdlbooks.org/>

Educational Television Connects with the Internet

This section will feature educational television programs that are
enriched by Internet materials available for the classroom.

Online and In Charge
Internet filters are not foolproof - education is the best protection.  Kids
need to know the ground rules of Internet safety to be less vulnerable to
inappropriate content and other Internet threats.  Use these tools to get
the message across in your classroom

Cable in the Classroom Digital Ethics
<http://www.ciconline.org/Enrichment/MediaLiteracy/DigitalEthics/default.htm

Partnership for 21st Century Skills
<http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/>

Media Awareness:  Joe Cool or Joe Full
<http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/special_initiatives/games/joecool_joe
fool/>

Cable in the Classroom has a new look for its print and online materials.
Look at the articles.
<http://www.ciconline.com/aboutcic/publications/accesslearning.htm>

On-line - A new interface makes it easy to see the Cable in the Classroom
offerings for the month.  Just click on the subject, then date.
http://www.ciconline.org/

 Administrivia...
 This newsletter is designed to provide teachers with quick access to
 Internet sites that correlate with the curriculum.  Click on the
 highlighted links to visit the sites listed here.

 It is planned that this newsletter will be updated and sent on a monthly
 basis with a new set of links.  Each issue should arrive during the 3rd
 week of the previous month.
 I would be glad to accept requests for links that would enrich your
 curriculum, theme units, or seasonal units.  E-mail me at adixon@xxxxxxxxx
 with your requests.

name, district, city and state in the message. We like to know how far the
newsletters are going.

 If you have any difficulty please e-mail me at adixon@xxxxxxxxx

Ann Dixon
Technology Teacher Trainer