[interfacekit] Re: BRoster::FindApp()

  • From: "Andrew Bachmann" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:28:28 -0800 PST

"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm not sure, if that would be a good idea. The preferred application
> > property is set by the user -- via FileType (for the file), FileTypes
> > (for a MIME type), or at least indirectly by telling an application to
> > register as preferred application for a certain MIME type (well, some apps
> > register themselves without user interaction) -- so just changing it
> > automatically
> > may not be desirable.
>
> Okay, it could also just ignore it then, but doesn't change the
> preferred application. In any way, it only does something when the
> preferred application is not available anymore - only if the MIME type
> meta information was not correct.

I also think that FindApp should ignore the preferred app if an app
of applicable signature doesn't exist.  It should fall back to the default
application for the mime type.  (don't change the setting of the
preferred app attribute though)

> > PS: Shouldn't our ShowImage have the same signature as the original
> > one?
>
> That would make bad applications happy, as well as my MIME database :)
> I think it's okay for testing purposes to have any signature, but I am
> not really sure about the final thing for applications like this.

My understanding was that we had this discussion where we concluded
that we would use new mimes except in cases where it was required to
maintain the old ones for compatibility purposes.  (like Deskbar, and a
handful of others)

Andrew