[insightsa] from David Squirrell regarding Adelaide City Council

  • From: Peter Greco <peter.19.greco@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: insightsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:55:14 +10-30

This was sent by David, sorry not quite sure what's happened, but here's what
David emailed.
Sent to BCA members, Insightsa members & service provider mobility instructors

We have received correspondence as to feedback as to the Adelaide city councils
jurisdiction from a disability perspective

Most of these I have recurrently raised with the council's access & social
inclusion plan management & at the Premiers access & social inclusion Plan
committee (where I am a disability Representative)

Feel free to give objective feedback at yoursay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&n bsp;
which should link with your email. If you want feedback please make sure you
give your name & contact details & request.
&not bsp;
If you can think of other aspects I have not covered please feel free to let me
know
&not bsp;
I have also attached a document the cionsultatiuon pack they sent me re
priorities for 2016 - 2017
&not bsp;
David

&not bsp;
Article 9 & 19 of the UN Convention Rights of People with Disabilities are
vital to understand. As President of Blind Citizens Australia I get lots of
feedback from members as to issues within the CBD
1. Alfresc o dinning & sandwich boards or merchandise that prevents white
cane shore lining or Guide dog straight line rather than weaving in & out
(Pedestrian areas & arcades in particular)
2. Cyclist s behaviour on footpaths or at crossings when they create issues
with safety or attempting to cross at traffic lights & they take on the role as
a pedestrian rather than a vehicle
3. Locatin g shops by name or number that is in a consistent location & is
consistent with the same rules as the WCAG 2.0 standard for web sites - Big,
Bold, Bright with good contrast & at heights which are appropriate for
wheelchair, stooped postures or vision impaired persons
4. Locatin g public toilet facilities & the availability a disability toilet
(very important is you have a guide dog & need to use a cubicle)
5. TGSI (Tactiles) that are the correct ones - in some instances directional
are located instead of risk TGSI's
6. Manhole covers with a 10cm grid pattern which catch white cane tips or
balls & hence have to potential to knock the cane from the users hand
7. Real or artificial grass areas for Guide Dog toileting - apart from
North, South & East Tce on the outer side the main areas are the Squares &
intercontinental Hotel lawns.
8. Bus stops that encourage patrons to stand across rather than along a
footpath area making it hard for a vision impaired person - patrons need to
queue parallel to the curb not across it
9. Victori a Square is considered user unfriendly in its design due to
slopes up & down without rails or TGSI which blend in & can create a fall or
trip risk - pointed out during the Focus group activities as to the central
market area earlier this year.
10. Consist ent volume of auditory tactile equipment at traffic lights in
location close to a pram ramp & not 1m away & of a consistent volume
&not bsp;
These were also tabled at the Premiers access & social inclusion plan committee
where I am a disability representative. SAPOL agreed with No 3 from the point
of view of essential services responding to a call & trying to identify
locations.
&not bsp;
I would love feedback so I can raise with our members as to feedback
&not bsp;
David
&not bsp;
Dr David Squirrell
Blind Citizens Australia (Adelaide Branch) President
Access & Social Inclusion Plan (SA Govt) Committee
BCA National Policy Development Committee
&not bsp;