[infotech] Re: the Sight Villege magazine

  • From: "Iain Lackie" <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <infotech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:21:00 +0100

It was interesting to hear sight And Sound say that LookTell hadn't developed any further and admit that the PAC Mate was well behind the field. The RNIB interview was definitely the standout piece.

Iain

-----Original Message----- From: Pranav Lal
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 4:55 PM
To: infotech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [infotech] Re: the Sight Villege magazine

Hi Terry and all,

A brilliant magazine as usual. I loved the RNIB interview since it was so
candid. The screen readers were very disappointing. Yes, advances have
certainly been made but all I could see was that everyone was catching up
with everyone else and that is that. Nothing really new like access to Visio
or remote control access using mainstream software etc. I am getting a
feeling that we need to own multiple screen readers to avoid playing
catch-up. For instance, Window Eyes can handle WPF controls. I am not sure
Jaws can or I think the support broke. The most encouraging thing in that
entire section was Brian Hartgen agreeing to do in-depth coverage of Window
Eyes and NVDA which, by the way stands for Non-visual desktop access.
<chuckle

I wish you had covered camera scanning appliances again but I am not
surprised you did not since there is not much new there either.

How about an Android phone demo on InfoTech? Yes, there are several podcasts
out already but none of them make me feel as if I have virtually handled the
product; that distinction goes to InfoTech.

As for portable players, yes, wireless access is nice and that is all good
but how about the basics like solar chargers and extending the battery life
above 15 hours?

By the way, whoever came up with the name of guide cats? Those cds sound
interesting. I can't stand cats so that kind of turns me off but that is
just my weird neurons.
Pranav

To contact the list owners, please send a message to
brian.hartgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or
terry.clasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To unsubscribe from the list, please send a message to
infotech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with the word
unsubscribe
in the subject line.