[infotech] Screen readers and the september october addition

  • From: "Pranav Lal" <pranav.lal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <infotech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:08:45 +0530

Hi all,

Another enjoyable addition of Infotech.  I am happy to see that other screen
readers such as nonvisual desktop access have been covered.  The product is
quite remarkable given that it is open source.

Terry, what happened during the supernova interview?  Was your microphone
positioned behind the speakers?  I ask since the supernova speech is very
soft which I suspect is more a function of the positioning of the microphone
than anything else.  I realise that you have no control over the environment
but unfortunately, this is a minor problem since I need to listen very
carefully to what the screen reader is saying.

One area of concern that I have with screen readers in general is the cloud.
Yes, in many applications screen readers can work without any changes but
what happens if the application itself is being served from the cloud?  As
of this writing, I don't see anybody making a screen reader that would be
served from the Internet and run on a local computer or dumb terminal.
System access to go still needs to be installed on the local computer.  It
is possible to run screen readers with virtual machines inside the cloud but
as far as I know, that is not a usual situation for many users especially in
offices.  I am very afraid that blind people will find themselves locked out
once again since so many businesses are transitioning to the cloud.

Brian, I don't know too much about landmarks but it is time we graduated to
using Aria.  Headings are good but it is all about encouraging developers to
be compliant to standards.  <Smile
speed in
Pranav

To contact the list owners, please send a message to
brian.hartgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or
terry.clasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To unsubscribe from the list, please send a message to
infotech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with the word
unsubscribe
in the subject line.