[infoshare] Fw: tactile currency for the visually impaired

  • From: "Maria" <malyn87@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: " Karen Gourgey" <kgourgey@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Denise" <quest74@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "FBN" <enews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Info" <infoshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "lisa saunders" <lisafsaunderstheater2004@xxxxxxxxx>, "Lucia" <lmarett@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Rick" <rh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Val" <valcapmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:40:38 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Ellen Cronin" <charmary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:38 PM
Subject: tactile currency for the visually impaired

>Executive Director of the American Council of the Blind Testifies Before
Congressional Subcommittee

WASHINGTON, July 30, 2008 -- Melanie Brunson, executive director of the American Council of the Blind (ACB), is testifying today before the Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy, Trade and Technology. "It is the position of the ACB," Brunson stated, "that there is a severe need for tactilely identifiable paper currency here in the United States."

Brunson testified that "ACB's mission is to increase the independence, equality of opportunity, and quality of life for all blind and visually impaired Americans. We believe that one way to increase independence, enhance opportunity, and improve the quality of life for blind Americans is to ensure that they can identify the denominations of their own bank notes without the assistance of someone who is sighted. Since the exchange of bank notes is a key component of so many transactions engaged in by our society today, we believe that the recognition that people who have visual impairments should be able to conduct their part of such exchanges independently is imperative."

If blind people could identify paper currency quickly and independently, it would substantially increase the number of jobs available to them. Thus, it would have the potential of reducing the high unemployment rate among the blind.

As stated by Brunson in her testimony before the Congressional subcommittee: "Over 180 countries around the world have found ways to incorporate tactile features into their bank notes which enable blind and visually impaired people to distinguish notes of one denomination from another. They have also taken steps to enhance visual distinctions between denominations. The specific tactile features used vary from country to country and it is not our intention to express a preference for any particular type of tactile feature. However, we do wish to make it clear to this committee that we believe it is both imminently possible and absolutely essential that this country, which has led the rest of the world through a myriad of technological, scientific and economic innovations for so long, now join the rest of the world in making it possible for blind and visually impaired people to engage in financial transactions with dignity and independence."

Currently, most blind individuals are forced to rely on others to tell them the denomination of their paper currency. There are a few expensive, electronic paper-money-reading devices, but they are relatively slow, prone to not being able to read the currency if it is old or folded, and they cannot be heard in noisy areas.

The American Council of the Blind is a national membership organization. Its members are blind, visually impaired, and fully sighted individuals who are concerned about the dignity and well-being of blind people throughout the nation. Formed in 1961, ACB is one of the largest organizations of blind people in the world, with more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates and a nationwide network of chapters and members spanning the globe.

For more information about this topic, or the American Council of the Blind, contact Melanie Brunson, Executive Director, American Council of the Blind, 1155 15th Street NW, Suite 1004, Washington, DC 20005; phone (202) 467-5081 or toll-free, 1-800-424-8666, or visit the web site, http://www.acb.org.