[infoshare] Fw: eSight NetWork News: Take Advantage of This Teachable Moment

  • From: "SHARON JOYNER" <darlenjoy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <infoshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:28:38 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: <memberservices@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <esight-careers-network@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 1:06 PM
Subject: eSight NetWork News: Take Advantage of This Teachable Moment

Dear eSight member,

The other night I saw "Blindness," the film by
director Fernando Meirelles.

Based on the 1995 novel by Nobel Prize winner Jose
Saramago, "Blindness" imagines a mysterious epidemic
that causes people to see nothing but fuzzy white
light resulting in a collapse of the social order in
an unnamed city.

Julianne Moore stars as the wife of an eye doctor
(Mark Ruffalo) who loses his sight; she feigns
blindness to stay with her husband and eventually
leads a revolt of the quarantined patients.

The book was praised for its use of blindness as a
metaphor for the lack of clear communication and
respect for human dignity in modern society.

But, the movie reinforces inaccurate stereotypes,
including that the blind cannot care for themselves
and are perpetually disoriented, according to the
National Federation of the (NFB) and the American
Council of the Blind (ACB).

Dr. Marc Maurer, NFB President, said:

 "Blind people in this film are portrayed as
 incompetent, filthy, vicious, and depraved. They are
 unable to do even the simplest things like dressing,
 bathing, and finding the bathroom.

 "The truth is that blind people regularly do all of
 the same things that sighted people do. Blind people
 are a cross-section of society, and, as such, we
 represent the broad range of human capacities and
 characteristics. We are not helpless children or
 immoral, degenerate monsters; we are teachers,
 lawyers, mechanics, plumbers, computer programmers,
 and social workers. We go to church, volunteer our
 time for worthy causes, raise children, operate
 businesses, and engage in recreational activities,
 just like everyone else.

 "Portraying the blind on movie screens across
 America as little better than animals will reinforce
 the unfounded fears, misconceptions, and stereotypes
 in the general public about blindness. It will
 exacerbate the unemployment rate among the blind,
 which is already higher than 70 percent because of
 public misconceptions about the capabilities of
 blind people.

 "It will reinforce false public notions that blind
 children (can't be educated), that blind adults are
 unemployable, and that all blind people are socially
 undesirable."

ACB has similar concerns.

 "The movie 'Blindness' is a demeaning depiction of
 people's reactions to losing their eyesight," stated
 Mitch Pomerantz, ACB president.

 Dr. Ronald E. Milliman, a blind university professor
 and also a member of the ACB, says, "In a very
 mythical sense, something like what is being shown
 in the movie might have happened hundreds or
 thousands of years ago, but certainly not in any
 civilized society such as what we have in the United
 States today. The movie is at best totally
 misleading and, at worst, serves to frighten deeply
 those who see it."

Here is eSight member Albert J. Rizzi's reaction:

 "It is difficult enough walking into a room or a
 public forum and know that others perceive you as
 different and that you scare the hell out of them.
 But to understand that this film could further that
 fear and give others the impression that blindness
 could lead to an utter breakdown in our social
 system is disturbing to say the least.

 "It only makes me angry about how much harder it
 will be for me to prove myself as I try to get my
 life back to as normal a life as I had before going
 blind.

 "We can begin together to redefine deeply imbedded
 beliefs that have been nurtured and passed on
 generation after generation about people with
 challenges."

The New York Times says:

 "When they stumble into the quarantine ward, these
 characters introduce themselves by number, according
 to order of arrival, and by profession, evidence
 that they have been stripped of their humanity not
 by sickness or the state, but rather by Mr. Saramago
 and by Don McKellar, the screenwriter...

 "...(This film) does not, in the end, give you much
 to think about. But there is, nonetheless, a lot
 here to see."

My own take on this film is that there not much to see
but a lot to think about. The film doesn't work well
overall because it tries to turn an obscure fable into
a concrete narrative -- a narrative which reinforces
commonly held misconceptions of blindness because the
fable comes alive in our minds through flesh-and-blood
characters on the screen. We identify with those
characters, even if they don't have a name.

The film uses this convenient but unfortunate allegory
to address author's perception of how humans react
when there's a breakdown in the social order. My
impression is that the screen writer, in transferring
the book to film, understands blindness only as a
human condition to fear. That fear serves his purpose,
for, by using fear, he perhaps taps into an emotional
truth about the human condition. But it's at the
expense of realistic details. The details he includes
in the film lack possibility and logic.

The notion that blindness can be contagious is just
one example of the lapses in logic which occur when
Saramago's fable is transferred to the screen.

As a result, this film too easily leads to two
conclusions: that a blind person is less than human
and that a blind person cannot lead or function as a
human being.

The dialogue (and the whole setting) reaffirms what
some people already believe. Here are two examples.

"We need a leader with vision," a nameless, blind
individual says after breaking out of the quarantine.
He's reaffirming the dominance of the sighted Julianne
Moore as she leads a group of his fellow victims, hand
by hand and helplessly, through the streets of the
abandoned city.

"I'm not a man," an again nameless man with an eye
patch suddenly inserts at the end of the film. He's
played by Danny Glover.

This could have been an art house film, if it were
better produced. Instead, it's strangely
sensationalized to appeal to a mass audience and comes
across as low-brow fiction.

As a result, it's likely to quickly be forgotten in
midst of our election and financial crisis because it
hits too close to the vulnerability we all feel right
now. It's a statement of how government reacts to a
crisis, and we again see how government can fail.
Remember the Japanese interment camps during in WWII
or when kids sick with measles were taken away and
separated from their families or what happened to the
residents of New Orleans during Katrina?

Film-goers with visual impairments may not miss
much visually by going to this movie. I found the
cinematography nothing exceptional, lacking color with
stretches of white and black or darkened screen,
leaving much to the imagination like old-time radio.
Perhaps that was the intent, trying to simulate the
common misconceptions of visual impairment.

Glover's character, by the way, occasionally narrates
the film, which makes it accessible.

Whether you choose to go see the movie or not, I
encourage you to use your insight to help turn the
film into a "teachable moment." I believe we can use
the film's current high profile to raise awareness
about visual impairments, especially among employers.

For background, read the eSight article for employers,
"Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Blind
Employees But Were Reluctant to Ask" at
http://www.esight.org/view.cfm?x=565

Raising awareness will benefit not only hiring
managers but also individuals who have had a visual
impairment all their lives as well as the baby boomers
who are currently employed but will perhaps deal with
a visual impairment during the years ahead.

You can make your voice heard right now by replying to
this question on the eSight Networking Forum:

 What do you want employers to learn about visual
 impairments while the film, "Blindness," is in the
 public spotlight?

Submit your "raising awareness" suggestions
at http://www.esight.org/link.cfm?n=1472

See all the "raising awareness" submissions
at http://www.esight.org/link.cfm?n=1471

Invite your friends and acquaintances to submit their
"raising awareness" suggestions in response to the
move, "Blindness," at
http://www.esight.org/link.cfm?n=1473

Jim Hasse
Senior Content Developer
eSight Careers Network

PS: Scott Treeman, a legally blind jazz
   pianist/composer/producer, has launched a new web
   site where you can listen to his music. Visit it at
   http://www.scotttreeman.com

eSight Resources

Resource Sharing

 New resources, including: job opportunities in NYC;
 ADA resources; Podcasts; Next Generation Perkins
 Brailler; work-at-home schemes; GPS Systems for the
 blind; personal assistance services; online services
 from the Social Security Administration (SSA) and
 more...
 http://www.esight.org/view.cfm?x=1982

Community News

 New postings, including:

 Protecting Disability Rights on Election Day
 http://tinyurl.com/4dunwv

 The NYC Center for Economic Opportunity (CEO)
 Poverty Measure and Older New Yorkers
 http://tinyurl.com/3m9cnw

 Announcing The Last Call For The AFB Drug
 Labeling Survey
 http://tinyurl.com/5yaldj

 Serotek CEO Announced as Tekne Award Finalist
 http://tinyurl.com/4ewcdq

 Read all Community News postings at
 http://www.tabinc.org/blog/

Networking Forum
 http://www.tabinc.org/net

Job Seeker's Network
 http://www.tabinc.org/jsn/

Job Postings
 http://www.esight.org/search_jobs.cfm

Resources for Job Hunters
 http://www.esight.org/job_resources.cfm

Archives for eSight NetWork News
 http://www.tabinc.org/cgi-bin/enn.cgi

Share Your "Aha! Moment." It's another form of virtual
 mentoring for our eSight community.
 http://www.esight.org/link.cfm?n=1297

About eSight NetWork News

You have received this newsletter because you have
registered as a member of eSight Careers Network or
because it has been forwarded to you.

It comes to you each week from The Associated Blind,
Inc., a not-for-profit organization located at 315
Fifth Avenue, Suite 807, New York, NY 10016-6510.

eSight is a service of Associated Blind, Inc.
Tax-deductible contributions can be made online by
mail or by telephone. Please visit
http://www.tabinc.org/donate.html

Copyright (c) 2008 eSight Careers Network.
All rights reserved.