[infoshare] Fw: Accessible Devices Homeland Security Bulletin: Conficker Worm Targets Microsoft Windows Systems

  • From: "Luis Guerra" <jerseypalisades@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "InfoShare" <InfoShare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:06:40 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Parker at Vip conduit" <Vipcomm@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Accessible Devices" <a-d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:38 AM
Subject: Accessible Devices Homeland Security Bulletin: Conficker Worm
Targets Microsoft Windows Systems

We found this to have some very useful information. We strongly recommend
keeping your updates current.
                    National Cyber Alert System
                  Cyber Security Alert SA09-088A
Conficker Worm Targets Microsoft Windows Systems
   Original release date: March 29, 2009
   Last revised: --
   Source: US-CERT
Systems Affected
     * Microsoft Windows
Overview
   US-CERT is aware of public reports indicating a widespread
   infection of the Conficker worm, which can infect a Microsoft
   Windows system from a thumb drive, a network share, or directly
   across a network if the host is not patched with MS08-067.
Solution
   Install updates
   The updates to address these vulnerabilities are available on the
   Microsoft Update site. We recommend enabling Automatic Updates.
Description
   The presence of a Conficker infection may be detected if a user is
   unable to  surf to the following websites:
   *
http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=conficker_worm&inid=us_ghp_link_conficker_worm
   *
http://www.mcafee.com
   If a user is unable to reach either of these websites, a Conficker
   infection may be indicated (the most current variant of Conficker
   interferes with queries for these sites, preventing a user from
   visiting them).  If a Conficker infection is suspected, the user
   should run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
   and install updates available from the Microsoft Update site.