[infopartisan] Re: test

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: infopartisan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:19:00 -0500

I quit using Yahoo soon as I found out they became a subsidiary of
Microsoft.
I dont do business with monopolies. I've never bought any Microsoft
software.
Their unethical business practices created lots of enemies, and thus we see
all the sabotage software, which wont quit till M$ is history.

I go on USENET from time to time, but the interface with a 56k modem access
is cumbersome and slow. I like being subbed to vox@xxxxxxxxxxx cause it is
sent straight to my email box; I can boot Xandros, and come back later
to find
all of the vox and private email sitting on my drive. Gonzo faster than
fetching
it from a server.

But- I remember QWKmail with the BBS networks like Fido, WWIV, Rampage,
et al, which archived all the public newgroup posts and my private in a .zip
and then extracted to the drive, with functionality lacking in Mozilla.

Occassionally, I get CC'd a copy of something, but these long lists of
addresses
seems to cause sabotage software and spam problems to, or from, windoz
users.

I just received a newer oscilloscope, and have a design for a PC power
supply
that runs off a 12 volt car battery. I plan to sell the DC-PC to folks
who live off the
grid, and run their homes on solar panels. But the first prototype will
go online
as a BBS server that anyone anywhere can dial into direct, without using
internet
access, and get email and newsgroups. I can setup the BBS interface so
it will not
have any spam, sabotage software, or authentication problems. Every time
your
PC logs off, the host will record the time, as will your PC; and when
you log back
on again, the host will ask the logoff time as the password.

The password will constantly change, and be stored on both host and
desktop as
a *DOS* file, and both will be running DOS. Since DOS is not
'multi-tasking', there
is no *background* for sabotage software to run in, and no way that it
could hack
into the network or yer own desktop.

So, while I am dissatisfied with my newgroup options, I can see that
integrating
them with the hardware and the software will only add to the appeal of
the whole
system.

Is there a way for ya to mark someone as a twit or troll in yer
newsgroups so
that ya never havta sift thru their messages, but automatically not have
them
included in the download? Or eliminate anyone who posts more than 10
times as
much as the average in the newsgroup. Or where everyone in the
newsgroups has
been googled, or in some other way, ascertained that they are a real
person; not a
spam bot. Or where those who are filtered, are told why, because of
irrational
rants, flaming or whatever, which offers them a way to modify their
behavior.

A coop so nobody can gain by selling yer stats in a buy out. A coop can
make their
own rules like the above to eliminate those who abuse the commons of the
Global
village. Open source software, and the hardware is open, industrial
standard parts,
with no gotchas when ya wanna upgrade.

Who funds Freelists?