FW: Sha'baan

  • From: "Capt. Imran" <no1khan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <imran_dist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:35:24 +0100

Assalamu alay kum/ Assalamu ala manitaba al-huda

A forward on Sha'baan.

Imran

----------

This is the month of Sha'baan!

It is the name of the eighth month in the Islamic
calendar. This month leads into Ramadaan. The best
way to prepare for Ramadaan is to follow as best
as one can, the truthful teachings of the Mercy to
the Worlds, the noble and final Messenger of Allah,
Muhammad (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam).

'Aa'ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said,
"The Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam)
used to fast until we thought he would never break
his fast, and not fast until we thought he would
never fast. I never saw the Messenger of Allaah
fasting for an entire month except in Ramadaan,
and I never saw him fast more than he did in
Sha'baan." [Bukhari and Muslim]

Another hadeeth in Saheeh Muslim says, "He used to
fast all of Sha'baan, he used to fast all but a
little of Sha'baan."

Scholars such as Ibn al-Mubaarak, Ibn Hajar and
others understood from this that the Messenger
(sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) did not fast all
of Sha'baan but most of it.

Usamah ibn Zaid (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) said, 'O
Messenger of Allaah, I do not see you fasting in
any other month like you fast in Sha'baan.' He
said, "That is a month to which people do not pay
attention, between Rajab and Ramadaan, and it is
a month in which deeds are lifted up to the Lord
of the Worlds. I like for my deeds to be lifted
up when I am fasting."" [An-Nasai]

Ibn Rajab said: "Fasting in Sha'baan is better
than fasting in the Sacred Months, and the best
of voluntary fasts are those that are closest to
Ramadaan, before or after. The status of these
fasts is like that of al-Sunan al-Rawaatib which
are done before and after fard (prayers) and
which make up for any shortfall in the number of
obligatory prayers. The same applies to fasts
observed before and after Ramadaan. Just as
al-Sunan al-Rawaatib are better than other kinds
of voluntary prayers, so fasts observed before
and after Ramadaan are better than fasts at other
times."

Sha'baan is like an introduction to Ramadaan and
it has some things in common with Ramadaan, such
as fasting, reciting Qur'aan and giving in charity.

Salamah ibn Suhail used to say that "The month of
Sha'baan is the month of reciters."

Habeeb ibn Abi Thaabit used to say, when Sha'baan
came, "This is the month of reciters."

When Sha'baan came, 'Amr ibn Qays al-Malaa'i used
to close his store and devote his time to reading
the Qur'aan.

[For a comprehensive and authentic discussion on
this please visit the islam-qa.com web site.]

Wassalaam 'alaikum wa rahmatullaah.
--
"Take benefit of five before five: your youth before
your old age, your health before your sickness, your