[ilssa] Festival to Plead for Skills 7/7/2011

  • From: ILSSA Operator <operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:17:46 -0400

Greetings, ILSSA members! As of July 1st, we have a list of 27 participants for the 2011 Festival to Plead for Skills. We'll round up to 30 this year, providing a few objects for our archive.

Here is our list of RSVPs. Please let us know if we're missing anyone! Also, please send any address updates to operator@impractical- labor.org. We'll be sending out addresses to our list of Festival participants on Monday, July 4.

Tia     Blassingame
Megan   Charland
Rebecca Childers
Aaron   Cohick
Sarah   Cox
Bridget Elmer
Steve   Godwin
Kerri   Harding
Polly   Johnson
Ellen   Knudson
Emily   Larned
Jenn    Libby
April   Llewellyn
Emily   Lyon
Scott   McCarney
Travis  Meinolf
Melanie Mowinski
Bonnie  O'Connell
Lisa    Olson
Frances Y.      Osugi
Lark    Preyapongpisan
Maria   Renna
Emily   Squires
Erin    Sweeney
Charlotte       Taylor
Heather Wetzel
Karen   Zimmermann

For those of you who RSVP'd, here is a Q&A that we hope will answer any lingering questions about the event. For those of you who did not RSVP, we'll miss you and we hope you'll join us next year!

"BUT WHAT SHOULD I MAKE?"
Some of you have asked us, "what should I MAKE?!" We encourage you to rephrase that question as, "what should I PRACTICE?" Think of a skill you want to get better at. Or maybe there's something you want to learn how to do altogether. And then think of how practicing that particular thing could result in 30 small artifacts. Here's a couple possible ways:

1) You are a knitter who wants to learn a tricky stitch. Practice this new stitch by making 30 2x2" swatches. Your first swatch will be messy; the 39th will no doubt be pro.

2) You are a bookbinder who always punches holes slightly off the gutter. Fold 30 pieces of 4x2" paper in half, and then practice punching 3 holes in all 40 folios.

3) You want to practice large-format silkscreen. Take your large proofs and cut them down to 2x2". Or fold large sheets down to 2x2". Or cut the large sheets into long strips and accordion fold them down to 2x2". Your practice evidence doesn't need to start small as long as it ends small!

"HOW MANY AGAIN?"
30! Thirty objects this year.

"WHERE DO I SEND THEM?"
This year, you will be sending your objects directly to your fellow Festival participants. Your ILSSA Co-Operators will provide you with addresses for all Festival participants before July 7. Simply place your 30 objects into envelopes, address them, and send them on their way!

"WHEN DO I SEND THEM?"
As soon as they are finished. All participants are ready and waiting with their reusable box templates, so we can start compiling and enjoying our collection of 2011 objects immediately! Isn't decentralization the best?

Please mail EXTRA objects to:

Emily Larned
Local 917 Shop RC
1069 Connecticut Ave
#4-310
Bridgeport, CT 06607

"ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?"
Yes! If you are a member who is based outside of the US and you are facing exorbitant shipping costs in order to mail your Festival objects, please contact your Co-Operators. We can arrange for alternative shipping options. Also, you will discover that we have added a few extra objects to the total participant count. This ensures that all participants receive objects, even if our count is off a bit, and it provides us with a few extra sets for archiving and exhibition purposes. Please send any extra objects to your Co- Operator, Local 917 Shop RC (address listed above).

Thanks so much, ILSSA members. Any other questions, do not hesitate to ask. We can't wait to see what you practice. Enjoy the 7th day of the 7th month!

ILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSA

AS MANY HOURS AS IT TAKES
ILSSA Operator
www.impractical-labor.org