[IGDA LC Panelists] Re: Thank you all.

  • From: Rhianna Pratchett <rhiannapratchett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: igda_lc_panelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:43:23 +0100

Hi there,

My turn now :)

Like Jon I'm also a writer, but on a smaller scale. I've been playing games ooohhh for just over 21 years and have been in the games industry for 6. My background is as a games journalist and I started writing reviews for a women's magazine called Minx, of all places! Since then I've written for PC Gear, PC Zone (where I spent 2 and a half years on staff) OXM, Computer Buyer, Custom PC, Develop... you get the idea! I can also be found regularly in the Guardian and also now and again in the Sunday Times.
I went full-time freelance just over a year and a half ago and alongside my usual journalism haunts I also do game script writing. So far I've just worked on one game, a little-known hardcore RPG called Beyond Divinity and there are more projects in the works. Alongside that I do games consultancy work and the odd talk.

I pretty much agree with what Jon says and would also add that as an industry we are very much battling a certain amount of prejudice and fear about games, especially at the moment. There is a general lack of knowledge, particularly amongst parents, mainly due to the fact that games only seem to be taken seriously by the wider media when they need something to blame for the ills of our youth.

See you all tomorrow

Rhianna - From her 'winter office' a.k.a. Bed

At 22:48 05/10/04, you wrote:
Hi all -

Yep - all pretty last minute, but here's some info about me.

I'm basically a writer, started out working in 'interactive videodisk' in the 80's. All the rage then - used for education and training programmes, as well as museum installation and experimental art projects. After that worked for a long time in the mainstream film and television industry - mostly as a scriptwriter, but also did fair bit of directing, editing, producing and 'story development' work. Various outputs, including films, series, educational TV, commercials etc.

Got into the games industry initially as a freelance dialogue writer (best bit of work that period was on Dungeon Keeper 2). Formed my own production company ages ago initially for small scale Film, TV and 'multimedia' projects, but soon diverted attention to games development as we got some independent funding for an original title based on a film script I was developing.

Worked in education as well and have lectured on various subjects at places such as the Royal College of Art, London Institute and various other places.

Taking things up to date, you can have a look at the company website to see what we are up to www.imaginary.co.uk .

I also work part time for the Surrey Institute for Art and Design where I have set up a Digital Games Design Unit and new MA course this year. (www.dgdu.org)

Other stuff you should know - I'm a board member of Tiga, the trade association for games developers, and do a lot of work on educational initiatives with various government agencies such as Skillset, DTI/DfES and so on.

My take on the violence debate is that while I don't advocate censorship, I do think a lot of the more violent games are neither 'mature' nor clever. I believe passionately we should be expanding the genre base and place less reliance on the portrayal of combat of one sort of another as the mainstay of our medium. As an educator, I'm encouraging what I hope will be a new breed of game designers to think about how to make better, deeper, more sophisticated titles which perhaps, like movies, literature, art, TV, etc etc begin to portray something more about human (and creature) interaction than how best to inflict damage, pain and death on one another.

And whether violent games inspire violence IRL or not, I think part of the problem is that games can so easily portray the spectacle of violence without exploring the consequences and human issues surrounding violence, which makes it seem like fun. Movies for example which have a 90 year advantage over our industry, are very good at portraying violence in all its horror as well as its human consequences because of the inherent narrative sophistication of the medium - a sophistication we've really not got anywhere near yet.

So that's lots of blah blah blah. I hope I can be a little more coherent on the night.

Jon

At 19:01 05/10/2004, you wrote:

Hmm. Well, given that there's just 24 hours to go, I'll quickly introduce
myself with a brief summary of my background.

I've been in the industry as a games designer for about 9 years, most
notable games I've worked on have been Theme Hospital, Wipeout3 and
Startopia. Also a few others of less note such as Retro Force and Spyhunter
2.

Currently working for Climax London.

Reason I'm on the panel? Nothing to do with any outspoken views I may have
on the subject - more of a last minute request from some of the organisers
who where trying to convince Climax to sponsor the event - having a Climax
panellist was seen as a possible incentive. Climax declined, but I'll still
be doing the panel regardless. It's also handy to have a nice percentage of
development staff on the panel - it is the IGDA after all.

I'd like to know if possible what other panellists views are on the subject
(broadly speaking) - if there is a general consensus, I may just take an
opposing view (devils advocate) just to provide some catalyst for debate and
discussion. My own personal thoughts are fairly pragmatic, advocating
restraint in how violent games are marketed to improve the image of the
games industry in the long term, but not necessarily calling for censorship
in the content of these games or their availability.

More sobering though, I'll try to give a clearer picture on just how much or
how little say developers have in the games they are asked to create. On
whose shoulders does resposibility actually fall, both within and without
the industry?

Regards,

Wayne Imlach.

-----Original Message----- From: igda_lc_panelists-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:igda_lc_panelists-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Lloyd Lee Sent: 04 October 2004 16:40 To: igda_lc_panelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [IGDA LC Panelists] Thank you all. Importance: Low

Thank you all for joining the IGDA London Chapter panel on Violence and Social Responsibility. The London Committee have set up this email list for to get acquainted prior to the event.

Again, thank you all for participating, and I look forward to meeting
you on the 6th.

Mike
IGDA LCC Web & List Monkey

--
Michael Lloyd Lee

*  M: mlk@xxxxxxxxx             "He who makes no mistake
*  W: http://j2mevnc.sf.net        Never makes anything"
*  A: 474c High Rd, E10 6QA

--
IGDA London Panelist List
Current Topic: Violence and Social Responsibility