[PCB_FORUM] Re: copy circuit in Allego

  • From: "Michael Catrambone" <Michael.Catrambone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 06:59:18 +0800

I am kind of late to the party here but I have a suggestion that may be
beneficial.  I read thru all the posted replies which all describe how
this can be done but I have an alternate using Modules.

We have used Reuse Modules with great success on the Allegro side with
Viewlogic on the front end for schematic capture, let me explain the
steps:

1. In Allegro, Create a Reuse Module using Tools > Create Module and
select all the components that you would like to be part of the
duplicated circuit.

2. In Viewlogic, duplicate the circuit and use a text editor to add a
prefix followed by an underscore to the existing reference designators
using a text editor.  It is pretty simple to perform a global replace of
"REFDES=" to "REFDES=D1_" and it helps if the reuse section is on a
schematic page by itself.

3. In Allegro, Use Place > Manually and change the "Component by refdes"
pulldown to "Module definition" then select the saved module for
placement in the design.  It will prompt you for Module Instance Name
and enter the prefix added to the schematic without the underscore then
select the location for the module. (Schematic prefix D1_ then the
Module Instance Name would be D1) Note: Make sure Library is checked
under the Advanced Settings tab in the Placement Form.

4. After all duplicated modules are placed perform a netlist import to
update the net names associated with the duplicated circuits in Allegro
so they match the schematic net names. The Module Instance Name entered
above will automatically become the prefix for the net names as well
after the module is placed in Allegro so an update is required.
NOTE: It is very important that the netlist import is done after all the
modules have been placed because it will not allow you to place the
module if the resulting Reference Designators already exist in the
design!

5. The final step is to disband the module groups using Edit > Groups,
select group and click the DISBAND button, followed by removing the
REUSE_INSTANCE properties on Components and REUSE_ID properties on
Symbols using Edit > Properties.  Note: This step really isn't required
but I don't like leaving these attribute behind.

I something describe things in super detail so the above steps may sound
like a lot of work but it really isn't that bad.  With that said if you
have a very small circuit that is being duplicated it may be just as
fast and easy to do the component swaps in Allegro as posted previously
but for larger reuse sections that are duplicated many times the steps
above are much faster, at least for me.

Hope this helps,
Michael Catrambone
UTStarcom, Inc.