[PCB_FORUM] Re: anyone heard of .hkp file before and can it imported to allegro?

  • From: "Baumstark Michael-EMB043" <M.Baumstark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:54:26 -0400

Hi Phaik Kiau:

I am not aware if there is a direct Expedition to Allegro database
translation but you may be interested to hear how we used to get an
Expedition layout into an Allegro database, without service bureau
assistance.

A while back we were using (Mentor) Expedition for FPCs (flexes) while
still engaged in the Mentor (Da-Lms/BoardStation) use model.

In that workflow, we would go from MGC Boardstation (the host CAD tool)
to BSRE (Board Station Route Environment), then one more import step
into Expedition, (the *.hkp zone, with multiple files). Reversing that
flow after Expedition layout activities (../pcb/hkp), a Board station
database would be the location where final PCB deliverables would come
from (Artwork, NC-Drill, NC-Milling, etc.) Consequently, Expedition was
not the Host CAD tool in this situation. There may be a more direct
linkage with the advent of MGC-XE.

If you are able to get your Expedition layout into a BoardStation Layout
format, then you would simply perform a File --> Import --> Mentor
command from an Allegro session with an Allegro SI (XL) license checked
out.

The import requires 8 ascii files (traces.traces, nets.nets, etc. )
including a freshly generated singular Ascii_geoms file for all the PCB
footprints.
(There are some limitations on importation of certain features, ie.
Mentor parts constructed with path features, or nested geometries, for
example.)

If you can't do that, then the guys at AcAe, can hook you up, as a
translation service.

Sincerely yours,

Michael Baumstark

Sr. Staff Electrical Engineer / PCB Design, CID+

Motorola - EMS - Worldwide Radio Solutions -
Astro - APTC/Physical Design Organization
8000 West Sunrise Blvd.  Mail Stop: 8E8
Plantation, FL USA 33322-9947
Intra: http://rprc.mot.com  ; http://pcbadvisor.mot.com
web: http://www.motorola.com

Motorola Internal Use                      [      ]
Motorola Confidential Proprietary    [      ]