[PCB_FORUM] Re: Via inside SMD discrete..

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:37:58 -0800

The smaller the "loop area" from one pad of the cap to the power plane, to
the ground plane and back to the other pad the better.

It is really bad to route caps with the traces exiting the ends of the pads
and going to vias.  (Everything in one straight line.)

It is better to have both traces leave the sides of the pads, on the same
side of the part.

It is best to use via in pad or routing like your picture.

In all cases you want to go to the via as quickly as possible.  Routing an
extra 0.25" to an existing ground via or grounded hole is also bad news.

Tom
Arira Design, Inc.
408-844-8433 x112

  _____