[PCB_FORUM] Re: Non allegro DXF/DWG into allegro

  • From: Shahed.Safavi-Bayat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:09:08 -0500

I used Autocad to clean up any drawing before importing to DXF. Also I put
everything on one layer(layer Zero) then out put DXF.
Then you have some clean up to do in Allegro after importing DXF.

Shahed

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

  |Dave Schaefer <dave.schaefer@xxxxxxx>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

  |<icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

  |02/20/2009 10:05 AM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

  |[PCB_FORUM] Re: Non allegro DXF/DWG into allegro

Dharma,

It's likely that .dwg's are from Autocad. I have tried an evaluation of
Turbocad, and although there probably is not another product on the market
that matches it's price / functionality, I have found that it's
compatibility with Autocad .dwg and .dxf is a little flawed (text /
dimensions especially).

I did not look into the issue any further, as we were only evaluating
Turbocad as an option. You may want to check the Turbocad website to see if
there are user forums - might be some particular font that works well.

In Autocad, I usually output an older / stable version of dxf for inport
into Allegro (Allegro's translators may not always be in line with the most
recent Autocad dxf). Check the Allegro documentation to see what version of
dxf it prefers.

Hth,
Dave

> From: "Dharma Kemp-Bresett" <dharma@xxxxxxx>
> Date: 2009/02/20 Fri AM 08:47:47 CST
> To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [PCB_FORUM] Non allegro DXF/DWG into allegro
>
> Hi Everyone,
> I realize I may have asked about this quite some time ago but it was
never
> fully resolved, and things change, so I am asking again. :-)
>
> In the past when trying to load non allegro DXF's into allegro there has
> been a huge amount of data that doesn't make it through. Most of it is
text,
> some lines, leaders, etc.. I have a bunch of fab and assy dwgs in .DWG
> and/or .DXF formats that need to get transferred into allegro (they were
> done outside of allegro, not sure with what tool, but now we need them to
be
> added to the board file permanently) and I need the easiest, fastest,
most
> reliable method for doing so. I realize there is no GUARANTEED 100%
solution
> but I am hoping someone out there has a process which is close! Also, I
am
> using turbocad to get DWG's into DXF format if that makes a
difference....
> Thanks in advance,
> Dharma
>
> KAW/USA Ltd.
> 39 Simon Street, #4
> Nashua, NH 03060
> 603-886-8711 x212
> 603-881-8763 fax
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This email and any accompanying documents contain
> information that is confidential, privileged or exempt from disclosure
under
> applicable law and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee.
This