[PCB_FORUM] Re: Express PCB to Allegro?

  • From: "Ritter, Alan" <Alan.Ritter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:33:26 -0500

Expresspcb.com is a PCB fab service that has their own freeware toolkit.
Very basic schematic capture and board layout software, and you email their
native files to them for fab.  Never see Gerbers or anything else standard
out of the process.  However, you can get 3 boards, 2-layer, 2.5" x 3.8",
out of them for about $60, delivered.  (no soldermask, no silk at those
prices, but adequate for bench prototyping simple things)

Given they want customers to be captive to their fab, it seems unlikely that
they will provide anything to translate their output into any industry
standards.  Their native files are in their own binary format and they don't
even output a netlist in the process of creating a board.

I've used them for garage-shop stuff and for quick-and-dirty
proof-of-concept prototyping but always figured "real" boards would have to
be re-captured manually for anything that had to become a production design.

/s/jar (alan.ritter@xxxxxxxxxx)

     http://www.mtritter.org

  _____