[PCB_FORUM] Re: Bga pins sharing vias

  • From: "richard moffat" <richard.moffat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 09:16:14 +1200

Hi

There are a lot of issues there, and I wouldn't like to give advice
that tries to cover all situations or with the minimal amount of
information you've given.  However, what I would say is:

1 - try //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list   .  You're bound to
get a lot of advice if you sign up and ask the question there (again,
with a few more details).

2 - just because it's the same voltage on two adjacent pins on a
device, it doesn't mean they're on the same circuit internally.  You may
be drawing power from another circuit inside the silicon.  This can be
hard to tell from the datasheet, so contact the chip manufacturer with
your question.  They will also probably want to know the stackup you are
using.

3 - the more power pins you share, the more ground bounce you are
risking.  This  _may_  be compensated with: more high-frequency caps;
more vias from the caps (stated below);   nice meaty planes between
power pins and cap pins; moving the vdd power plane inside the stackup
as close as possible to the underneath of the component.

I've probably raised more questions than you wanted!

Cheers,
Richard

>>> trilok.budathoki@xxxxxx 6/09/2004 5:24:32 p.m. >>>
Jean,
We have shared power pins in many of our boards in past, didn't face
any problem & the boards were thru in 1st shot. Try to put more than one
via for decoupling caps.Thus will reduce inductance. I assume you have
enough bulk caps  around  BGA.
Hope it helps

Trilok