[PCB_FORUM] Re: AMC 's breakoff tabs or vcuts?

  • From: Jim Goshorn <jgoshorn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 08:24:53 -0600

        Hi Sam,

Tabs and scoring their both a pain in the rear. Scoring has a tendency to leave a rough finish on the edge of the board and if this card is going into a rack type product with slide rails it may not be desirable. Also the final break point may have a larger tolerance than you can afford, and not to forget your manufacturing people
may want to pick up a Pizza cutter to separate your boards.

On the other hand, the break away tab that you are using looks like it should work OK but only time will tell. I have tried something like it in the past and had fair success. Although sometimes you may get a rough finish to the outside
of the board outline.

There are tabs that break to the inside of the outline but they have to be in the board from day one, they suck up
placement and routing area but they do leave a clean board edge.

Good Luck, Jim

deac48a.jpg

At 05:34 PM 11/2/2006 -0600, you wrote:

Hi all,

On our AMC s we are having a concern with our breakoff tabs and the rails to plug the board.

Here is the kind of breakoff we are using with 40mils and 20 mils diameter drills:

Have you got any suggestion of vcut or breakoff to make the edge of the board better?

Thanks

image00170.jpg

Samuel CAIS                                Interphase Corporation

CAD PCB Designer                           2901 N. Dallas Parkway #200

cais@xxxxxxxxxx                            Plano, TX 75093

214.654.5337 <www.Interphase.htm>www.Interphase.com

Jim Goshorn
MCL, Inc