[PCB_FORUM] Re: 15.1 dynamic shapes and negative planes

  • From: "Musetti, Carl" <cmusetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:55:52 -0400

Thanks Ed, but I'm still not convinced that negative shapes are friendly or
easier to manage, I question the need to clean up voids on edges on pos vs. neg
if is need for pos than why not negative. Personally I just draw the shape I
want on the layer and have program dynamically void for me. 99% of time it does
a good enough job that I never have to touch it. I model my DRC vi to via and
vi to pin clearance so that there is always ample room to get sufficient copper
pour that the fabricator can fabricate to and the plane can handle the driving
current. The biggest problem I have seen through out the years and I call it
abuse not use is to many people get lazy with setting up their constraints and
use the minimum clearance in a design though out out the entire design on every
feature, I worked for a board fabricator and worked closely with assembly
process at Motorola Boynton beach and found that you just can't do that and get
what you thought you were going to get. Though now a days with Dual IR
processing and solder mask tenting over vias over both sides it is true that it
is more forgiving than it used to be.

Thanks for the info though, but I am very happy with positive shapes, but it is
nice to see that it was implemented in an attempt to make everyone happy and
satisfy all users usages of the tool I think it is one of the slickest pieces
of software to be implemented into allegro in a long time! Great job by you and
the developers!

Now to get to work on that padstack editor HaHa

See you September

Carl