Re: [icon-users] Enchancement request for URL links in TW

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ICON-USERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 10:31:55 +0200

In message <08081306000042_3E40E48A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "gwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> It would be very helpful if Techwriter could allow you to select (from a
> user-defined menu) text that is to be prepended (or appended) to the
> document text that is being made into a URL link. [...]

> [ADS bibcodes...]
> Constructing the bibcode from the data originally is generally trivial.
> But in order for the link to function it has to have

> http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?bibcode=

> prepended to the bibcode.  Including this text in the body of the
> references for each and every bibcode isn't really an option as it
> would make the page look cluttered.

Yes, true. That is precisely why in TechWriter the displayed text of
the link does not have not to be the same as the actual URL (in the
same way as it works in HTML).

When writing a document you are likely to refer to various places on
the same website so it makes sense to have some shortcut to add common
prefixes when entering the URL. I will think about it. A user defined
menu may be one option but TW could also offer you a menu of
previously used base URLs. Then, you would only have to enter the
first URL manually and in all subsequent cases you could select the
base URL from the menu.

Martin