[icon-discuss] Re: recommendations on noise-cancelling headphones for the icon

  • From: "John Esak" <john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thcumings@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:24:27 -0400

Wow! A question I know something about.  :-

I have purchased every kind of noise cancelling headphone there is, both
kinds of Boze, Sennheiser, Sony, some off brands, etc.  If you want a quick
answer and don't want to read further. Get the folding $149 Sennheiser set.
It has a little battery tube that you can put in your shirt pocket, and they
are small and light. Best of all, they sound terrific. I like them because
they use regular AA batteries.  There is a much cheaper set by Sennheiser,
but they don't fold up. I believe they are only $89 from Amazon.

As to the Boze, they sound great, but really not much better than the
Sennheiser... and certainly not $150 better.  Plus, they have the added
hassle of a completely proprietary battery which you have to leave in a
charger when it goes dead. I bought two so I wouldn't be out of battery at
any time.  I also have the big Boze set, also for $300... do NOT waste your
money on these.   They fatigue your ears and head within a very short time
because of their sheer mass.  I can not wear them for long "book listening"
sessions.

Now, here is an added thrown in for free piece of advice.  They are NOT
noise cancelling, so will not be as good for the airplane... but if you want
the coolest, most useful set of headphones for your Icon/BP, get the
Logitech wireless set for $99. (Also from Amazon I think... and haven't
really found them cheaper anywhere.) These are simply fantastic.  I really
love them, because I can start up a book, put my Icon down on my desk and
walk all around my home or office listening to it.  Now that the Icon is
mostly in the docking station, this is a critical feature of wireless.  I
can't live without them now.  They also sound really, really good.

Two things about the Logitech to keep in mind.  If you can not see the
little LED's on them... like me... you have to turn them on in a certain
way. First you press this teeny-tiny little button on the transmitter (which
plugs into the Icon/BP) and hold it down for a full 5 seconds.  Somewhere in
that time span it will cause the LED to blink red for about 20 seconds.
Once you've let go of the button, you press a much bigger long button on the
headphones themselves and this turns the phones on and syncs the two units
together.. You hear a big BONG in the earphones and the Icon/BP is ready to
be heard.  If things aren't loud enough, the headphones have a built in
amplifier that you turn up by pressing either the bottom or top of the right
earpiece.  Up louder, down lower.  Also, these headphones go around the
*back* of your head and clip over your ears... so they are great for someone
like me who wears an extremely cool hat.  :-)

Boy, I should work for Logitech, huh?  Seriously, no jive, this is a good
deal. By the way, the little transmitter which plugs into the Icon/BP is
very small and thin. So the unit by itself (without teeing in the docking
station) can easily fit in your shirt pocket while you are walking and
listening.  I love this, because I'm not all "wired up" as I'm going to the
store.  It's a nice sense of freedom.

So, to recap through all these words.... $149 Seennheisers for the best all
around noise cancelling... and Logitech for best wireless.

Oh, yeah, that was a definite plus on the Boze small set... it does not have
anything but the cord.  Remember that the Sennheiser has a 4" battery
tube/amplifier to contend with for the great sound and regular batteries.
Should I stop talking now... okay.

John Esak

If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only.
If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to
LevelStar or APH then consider sending your message to
icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx