[icon-discuss] My comments on version 1.1

  • From: Richard Turner <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Icon Discussion List <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 06:35:52 -0700

s I particularly am impressed with.

1.  The file sharing via wireless.  I am amazed at how well this works.
I was able to copy a fairly large set of mp3 files onto the Braille+
while I was reading the newspaper and at times, had to move around the
house, but the copying just went on and did what it was supposed to do.
I was also able to set it up on the Vista machine at work where I have
to use my log in name and password.  The trick is to first share a
folder on the Vista hard drive.  Then, the rest goes quite smoothly.
2.  The NLS books, of course, is a huge step forward.  Like others, I
wish the sound wouldn't get so choppy when speeding it up, but the fact
that we can down load and listen to those books without having to first
down load them on the computer is fabulous!  But, with the wireless
file sharing, that isn't even a bad deal.
3.  The vastly improved media player.  The ability to create play lists
from folders is brilliant!  ,having the fast forward and rewind working
properly is very nice.  And, having the option to have it speak the
file names as they play is great.  I edited the template to just say
the title since I usually know the artist I am listening to.  Plus, the
speech doesn't interfere with the music so much with only the title
being spoken.
4.  The ability to activate links in the e-mail messages is a marvelous
step forward.  That was always such a pain before.
Those are the only things I have used a lot so far.

When the Planner syncs properly with Outlook and we can delete
repeating appointments; I won't have anything much to complain about.
That lack of functionality in the Planner is what is keeping me from
leaving the BrailleNote on the shelf.  Well, that and the lack of a
braille display.

,keep up the great work!

Richard