[icebtac] Inquiry regarding studies on tactile graphics

  • From: Joe Sullivan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icebtac@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:47:23 -0500

Hello icebtac listers,

Recently there has been a surge of interest regarding tactile graphics on the part of people involved in the new "NIMAS" (National Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard) file format definition here in the U.S. On the relevant list, one participant (Chris von See) recently asked:

"Do any of you know of any studies that discuss the effectiveness of various types of tactile graphics in K-12 education? I'm wondering if there's anything in those studies that might help us set/justify our direction regarding tactile graphics and braille..."

Another (Betsy Burnham) contributed the following response:

"Unfortunately there is very little research. Most recently, in 2003, the Canadian Braille Authority posted a report of the Tactile Graphics Sub-Committee Part 3 which included information of a study conducted in 2002 .I believe this report would be most helpful. This information can be downloaded. This is the address you will need:

http://www.canadianbrailleauthority.ca/docs/Report_Tactile_Graphics_part3.pdf

"Lucia Hasty and Diane Spence were involved in this study and could give much better information than I. I believe the BANA Tactile Graphics committee, which Lucia chairs, is in the process of writing guidelines for tactile graphic production in which the findings from this study played a significant role. Dr. Cay Holbrook compiled the data and would also be of great assistance to Chris."

It struck me that this information might be of interest to this list, and that conversely there might be knowledge here that would be of interest to the NIMAS folk, which I would be glad to pass on.

Regards to all,
Joe Sullivan