[ibis-quality] Re: Minutes from the 29 Apr 2008 ibis-quality meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-quality@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 09:52:06 -0400

This time with the attachment.

-----Original Message-----
From: ibis-quality-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ibis-quality-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike LaBonte
(milabont)
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 9:50 AM
To: ibis-quality@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ibis-quality] Minutes from the 29 Apr 2008 ibis-quality
meeting

Minutes from the 29 Apr 2008 ibis-quality meeting are attached. ARs:

AR: Anders propose BIRD to clarify meaning of Overshoot/Undershoot

Mike

Minutes, IBIS Quality Committee

11-12 AM EST (8-9 AM PST)

ROLL CALL
  Adam Tambone
* Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
  Benny Lazer
  Benjamin P Silva
  Bob Cox, Micron
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Brian Arsenault
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Eckhard Lenski, Nokia Siemens Networks
  Eric Brock
* Guan Tao, Huawei Technologies
  Gregory R Edlund
  Hazem Hegazy
  Huang Chunxing, Huawei Technologies
  John Figueroa
  John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  Katja Koller, Nokia Siemens Networks
  Kevin Fisher
  Kim Helliwell, LSI Logic
  Lance Wang, IOMethodology
  Lynne Green
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Mayer, SiSoft
* Moshiul Haque, Micron Technology
  Peter LaFlamme
  Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Radovan Vuletic, Qimonda
  Robert Haller, Enterasys
  Roy Leventhal, Leventhal Design & Communications
  Sherif Hammad, Mentor Graphics
  Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Tom Dagostino, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Kazuyoshi Shoji, Hitachi
  Sadahiro Nonoyama

Everyone in attendance marked by *

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-----------------------MINUTES ---------------------------
Mike LaBonte conducted the meeting.

Call for patent disclosure:

- No one declared a patent.

AR Review:

AR: Mike write draft IQ G designation
- Done

New items:

Mike will be unavailable for the next 2 weeks.
- The next meeting will be in 3 weeks

Mike has posted IQ specification version 1.1ad to the web site
- Contains changes made several meeting back.

Anders: We never continued the overshoot/undershoot discussion
- Placed last on the agenda for this meeting.

Mike showed the draft IQ specification 1.1ae with G designator:
- Bob: Requiring a T-line fixture may be too much.
- Moshiul: Good idea to prevent fixtures that copy from R & F.
- Bob: Concerned about the work to produce many golden waveforms
  - Mike: Software should be used to automate this.
  - Requiring golden waveforms for every buffer would be discouraging.
- Moshiul: We should discuss a BIRD for external golden waveforms
- Guan: Should the package RLC be included in the fixture for golden waveforms?
  - Mike: Not for simulation, but for measurement.
  - Bob: We should limit fixture complexity.
  - Guan: There should be no package model if possible.
- Anders: This works for simulation, but not for bench measurement.
  - Near waveforms have to be measured at the pad.
  - There should be a measurement point after pin RLC, just before T-line.
  - Bob: We may need a BIRD for this.
  - Bob: Only simulator extraction can probe the near point practically.
- Anders: the IBIS spec does not state if [Test Data] is from measurement
  or simulation
  - Mike: We could ask for a comment on this in the IQ specification.
  - Anders: Comments should describe equipment used (bandwidth limits?)
  - Bob: It would be best if it's more than a comment
    - Information about correlation data should be in a separate document.
- Anders: If so much change is needed, it may be easier to start over
  - We could include all of these ideas in a new golden waveform feature
- Moshiul: One transmission line may not be enough.
  - Bob: If we need muc more flexibility, a SPICE circuit may be needed.
  - Anders: We could use description language from the EMD proposal
- Mike: What we have  works best for simulation, and is still useful for that.

Discussion of BIRD 105, Mandatory Golden Waveforms:
- Mike: Should the IBIS Open Forum vote on this at the next meeting?
- Anders: More discussion is needed.
- Bob: It might be discussed in the next meeting, voted later.

Discussion of Overshoot/Undershoot ambiguity:
- Anders: There are two sets of limits:
  - Where the device no longer functions correctly, temporarily.
  - Where the device is destroyed.
- Bob: the single limit should describe whichever is the lower limit.
- Anders: We should clarify this in IBIS

AR: Anders propose BIRD to clarify meaning of Overshoot/Undershoot

Next meeting:

20 May 2008 11-12 AM EST (8-9 AM PST)

Meeting ended at 01:19 PM Eastern Time.