[ibis-quality] Minutes for Apr 28 through May 12 ibis-quality meetings

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-quality@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 15:13:49 -0400

Minutes for ibis-quality meetings from April 28 through May 12 are
attached.

Mike
Minutes, IBIS Quality Committee

11-12 AM EST (8-9 AM PST)

ROLL CALL
  Adam Tambone
* Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
  Benny Lazer
  Benjamin P Silva
  Bob Cox, Micron
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Brian Arsenault
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Eckhard Lenski, Nokia Siemens Networks
  Eric Brock
* Guan Tao, Huawei Technologies
  Gregory R Edlund
  Hazem Hegazy
  Huang Chunxing, Huawei Technologies
  John Figueroa
  John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  Katja Koller, Nokia Siemens Networks
  Kevin Fisher
  Kim Helliwell, LSI Logic
  Lance Wang, IOMethodology
  Lynne Green
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Mayer, SiSoft
* Moshiul Haque, Micron Technology
  Muniswarareddy Vorugu, ARM Ltd
* Pavani Jella, TI
  Peter LaFlamme
  Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Radovan Vuletic, Qimonda
  Robert Haller, Enterasys
  Roy Leventhal, Leventhal Design & Communications
  Sherif Hammad, Mentor Graphics
  Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Tom Dagostino, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Kazuyoshi Shoji, Hitachi
  Sadahiro Nonoyama
  Liqun, Huawei

Everyone in attendance marked by *

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-----------------------MINUTES ---------------------------
Mike LaBonte conducted the meeting.

Call for patent disclosure:

- No one declared a patent.

AR Review:

- Mike look into MeetingPlace issues
  - This is a WebEx meeting now
  - Some had difficulties getting in:
    - Web sharing crashed the first time for Anders
    - Bob had to click Attend Meeting, did not see it at first
    - Mike: There should be a URL to go straight to Attend

New items:

Continued review of the IQ 1.1 specification:

5.5.3.  {LEVEL 2}  [Ramp] dV consistent with supply voltages
- Mike: Not sure if we decided last time to delete 5.5.3
- Anders: We discussed this 2 meetings ago
  - 5.5.3 is much easier to check than 5.5.4
  - Mike: But both are needed to achieve level 2
- Mike: We will eventually drop 5.5.4 when IBISCHK implements it
- Anders: Are we requiring software to perform these checks?
- Mike: We could drop 5.5.4 from IQ now and immediately file a bug report
- Bob: We could note that a more rigorous check will appear in IBISCHK
- Vote: Should we drop 5.5.3 and keep 5.5.4?
  - Anders: yes
  - Bob: yes
  - Guan: yes
  - Mike: yes
  - Pavani: yes
- We voted to remove the 5.5.3 check

5.5.4.  {LEVEL 2}  [Ramp] dV consistent with V-T table endpoints
- We change the title of this and completely replaced the contents:
5.5.4.  {LEVEL 2}  [Ramp] dV consistent with I-V table calculations
- Bob: We can explain the workaround method to have IBISCHK calculate V
- Anders: What will IBISCHK say about the temporary waveforms?
  - Will it find other issues?
  - Bob: No, IBISCHK doesn't make that many checks
- Mike: The two temporary waveform points could both be -1V
  - Bob: Only one point has to be wrong to make IBISCHK print voltages
- Bob: Unfortunately the values are printed with only 2 decimal digits
  - There are techniques to find the real value

We added a third paragraph to 5.5.4:
- We immediately removed it because the 2nd paragraph covers that

5.5.5.  {LEVEL 2}  [Ramp] dt is consistent with 20%-80% crossing time
- We added a 2nd paragraph to explain waveform selection criteria
- Bob: It only applies if the right waveform is present
  - We should call for an alternative dt reference if none
- We added a sentence for this

After deleting 5.5.3, 5.5.4 and 5.5.5 became 5.5.3 and 5.5.4

Next meeting: 19 May 2009 11-12 AM EST (8-9 AM PST)

Meeting ended at 12:04 PM Eastern Time.
[...]

  - Mike will use WebEx for our next meeting
  - MeetingPlace will be the backup

New items:

Should we file an IBISCHK bug report for a dV against I/V check?
- We decided not to do this immediately

[Ramp] dV checks:
- Mike: Possible checks are:
  - dV against supply voltage
  - dV against V/T endpoints
  - dV against I/V
- We voted unanimously to replace 5.5.4 with a dV vs. I/V
- Moshiul: Which of these is the central reference?
  - When discrepancies are found, either could be wrong
- Anders: The old 5.5.4 checked against I-V
- Bob: We can synthesize V/T tables based on Ramp to do this in IBISCHK
  - The idea is to create fake waveforms with [Ramp] fixtures
  - Just one bogus point is needed
  - This forces IBISCHK to print the correct voltage calculated from I/V
- How much accuracy to require:
  - Anders: This should be much more accurate than V/T endpoint checks
  - Bob: Taking 60% of a value reduces the error magnitude
  - Mike: Taking a difference doubles the error magnitude
    - I/V interpolation will add error too
- Bob: The error limit should be 10%
  - Mike: How about 1% ?
  - Bob: Tables may not have enough significant digits
  - Anders: How about 5%
- Mike: We should set an accuracy criteria based on simulation results
  - But dV is not used for anything
  - An error of 10mV for a 2.5V part would be 4%
- Anders: This will show if someone has tweaked [Voltage Range]
- Mike: This check can detect poor I/V resolution
  - Bob: There can be DC convergence issues
  - Mike: And I/V test fixtures are difficult to simulate
- The values calculated from I-V will be the reference for error percentage

Next meeting: 05 May 2009 11-12 AM EST (8-9 AM PST)

Meeting ended at 12:08 PM Eastern Time.
[...]

  - There was confusion over how to control the meeting invitation with WebEx
  - Mike will set up an external test meeting

New items:

Continued review of the IQ 1.1 specification:

5.5.3.  {LEVEL 2}  [Ramp] dV consistent with supply voltages
- Mike changed the text to:
    The [Ramp] dV values must not exceed 60% (80% - 20%) of the supply voltage
    range for non-ECL output buffer technologies. The supply voltage range
    is either [Pullup Reference] - [Pulldown Reference], or [Voltage Range],
    if present. This check is not applicable to current mode technologies
    such as ECL, where pulldown operation is not referenced to a voltage
    given by [Pulldown Reference] or to a 0V ground.
- Bob: This check should be deleted.
  - It is a sanity check only
  - 5.5.4 is an overlay check and that is better
- Mike: Also, the description of supply voltage to use is not clear
  - For example, ECL does not pull down to 0V
  - Bob: the limit could be calculated using -2V for ECL
- Both 5.5.3 and 5.5.4 are required for IQ 2

5.5.4.  {LEVEL 2}  [Ramp] dV consistent with I-V table calculations
- Bob: IBISCHK should check this
  - We could explain the work-around to check this until IBISCHK has it
- Mike: The explanation text that we need was deleted when we replaced 5.5.4
  with an entirely new check.
- Mike: This references 5.5.7, which no longer exists.
  - The relevant text from that old check should be inserted here.

5.5.5.  {LEVEL 2}  [Ramp] dt is consistent with 20%-80% crossing time
- Mike: Manual checking of this requires several steps:
  - Find the right waveforms
  - Determine endpoint voltages
  - Set horizontal markers at 20% and 80% points
  - Set vertical markers at the crossing points and measure dt
- Pavani: It's a lot of work to calculate this for every model.
- Mike: It should only be necessary to verify that the waveforms used to
  generate [Ramp] look right
  - If the software calculates dV and dt correctly once, this should be
    repeatable
- Bob: Some technologies do not produce useful dt with Ramp fixtures.
  - Should be able to check off this test if dt matches any relevant reference
- We can work on 5.5.5 next meeting to incorporate this idea

Mike: The DAC IBIS summit is July 28
- Hopefully we will have IQ 1.1 released, and make a summit presentation

Next meeting: 12 May 2009 11-12 AM EST (8-9 AM PST)

Meeting ended at 12:13PM Eastern Time.