[ibis-macro] Re: a s2p example for output impedance and reflection

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:02:28 -0700

Fangyi,

You are right that any modification in S-parameter values may lead to
modifying the solution.

However, there are some special cases when modifying the value does not
change the solution. Let that S-block describe resistor Rx1 to ground
(at port 1) and then controlled source: VC*S with internal resistance at
port 2 (this VC*S is controlled by port 1 voltage). Then, if you
externally attach ideal voltage source at port 1, the voltage or current
at port 2 will not depend on the resistance Rx1, even though Rx1 is
related to S11.

However, the dependence on Rx1 reappears if port 1 is connected to
something different than ideal voltage source. Hence the spec should
state that Tx S-parameters are always connected at one side to voltage
source otherwise the solution is not correct.

Vladimir