[ibis-macro] What do we expect from spec? (clock times, etc.)

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:09:30 -0600

Hi All,

I made two excerptions from the recent discussion on clock times:

1. "A fundamental principle of AMI modeling is that every EDA platform
(both software and hardware) will give the same results when presented
with the same Analog-Channel impulse response, the same AMI model
conditions, and the same input stimulus pattern. Each EDA platform may
differ on how its sets the Tx and Rx AMI model conditions, the stimulus
pattern, how it creates the Analog-Channel impulse response, and how it
processes the resulting outputs."

2. So far, the standard has meticulously avoided any statements on how
EDA tools shall process the resulting output, other then how the output
of the Tx model needs to be passed to the input of the Rx model.

Are we all sure that the two above statements agree?

An example. The spec allows that some clock times could be missed in the
middle of the active simulation (i.e. after initial bits skipped). That
assumes that the number of waveforms' portions that will accumulate in
eye diagram histogram will be smaller than the number of simulated bit
periods. If the eye diagram will be buit in that way, it could happen
that the eye appears open, although as we understand, missed clocks
indicate a failure. Therefore, the correct result should be a closed
eye. So far all that looks fine. However, if we'd like to build such
'closed' eye, but we do not know the position of 'missed' clocks then
how we can do that unambiguously? I know about half a dosen different
ways to do that, but what about p.1 statement above?
Or, there are things that we care of - like open eye - and others that
we don't?

Vladimir