[ibis-macro] Response to my action item: on-die interconnect Touchstone to include a.c. behavior of final drive stage?

  • From: David Banas <DBanas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:37:01 -0800

Hi all,

With regard to the action item I took at last week's ICM meeting:

Find out if Altera's on-die interconnect Touchstone files include any of the
driver's a.c. behavior.

The answer is:

No, they do not. They are a "pure" description of the actual passive physical
structure lying between the drains of the final drive totem pole and the point
of die attach. They are generated using 3D extraction tools, as opposed to
measurements.

In my discussion with my ICD folks, someone made a very interesting point:

The manufacturing variation of the on-die interconnect response characteristics
is typically the result of physical dimension variance, which in turn is caused
by the inherent tolerances of the photo-lithography process. Conversely, the
variation in the driver output stage characteristics are most often primarily
due to voltage, temperature, and process variation. So, if we were to include
the driver output stage a.c. behavior in the Touchstone file representing the
on-die interconnect, we would be hard pressed to adequately describe typ., min.
and max. behaviors for the combined entity, and the range of validity of a
Touchstone file so constructed might be very limited. (This sounds a lot like
what Brad was saying, last week.)

Also, in order to ensure that I was making myself understood, I asked them,
"Which of the following is the correct source to drive our on-die interconnect
Touchstone files: an ideal step, or a model of the driver?" They answered,
unequivocally, "A model of the driver."

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this, although I won't be
able to attend this week.

Regards,

David Banas
Sr. Member Technical Staff
Altera<http://www.altera.com/>
+1-408-544-7667 - desk

Did you know Altera offers over 150 free online technical training
courses<http://www.altera.com/servlets/searchcourse?coursetype=Online&WT.mc_id=t9_ot_mi_mi_tx_a_311>?
 Take one today!

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail,
and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.