[ibis-macro] Request to the authors of BIRD 122

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:06:35 -0800

Dear BIRD 122 authors,

If I had to make a high level summary of the discussions we had on
BIRD 122 in the last two ATM teleconferences, I would conclude that
the problem seems to be that even though we are all speaking English,
we don't understand each other for various other reasons.

The circuit diagrams of BIRD 122 raises numerous questions in the
minds of most readers, while you, the authors seem to think that
the drawings are obvious.  Questions like what the triangles and
summation boxes contain and do have to be spelled out and defined
unambiguously in a specification, otherwise someone may implement
them completely differently from what the intent was.  (For example,
summation could be the sum of currents, or voltages, which is it
if this is not stated in the spec)?

In order to make our discussions on BIRD 122 productive, I would
like to request that instead of (or in addition to) writing high
level circuit (block) diagrams, please write SPICE netlists to
describe your analog buffer models.  We all seem to understand
SPICE very well and I believe that a netlist would help us
overcome our communication problems.  In addition, I would
like to request that this be done using IBIS-ISS (and not
full HSPICE), since we are dealing LTI analog models and
IBIS-ISS is sufficient for LTI modeling.

I hope that providing IBIS-ISS netlists for the buffer models
would help you to answer all questions unambiguously and help
getting the discussions on BIRD 122 done in a very short time.

Sincerely,