[ibis-macro] Re: PCIe Gen3 jitter in AMI

  • From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:46:59 -0500

 Fangyi-

Thanks for your comment. I think it shows us the direction this conversation will go.

In a similar vein, I suspect that "uncorrelated jitter" is going to bear an uncanny resemblance to RJ, and "pulse width jitter" is going to bear an uncanny resemblance to DJ. RJ and DJ are commonly used terms, however, with multiple definitions that can differ in subtle but significant ways. Thus, we can't blame the PCIe Gen3 people for choosing different names and providing their own specific definitions.

At the very least, we should make sure that the definitions IBIS states for RJ, DJ, and DCD are rigorous and self-consistent; and it wouldn't surprise me if we haven't quite achieved that yet.

Beyond that, I don't think we should take on the challenge of rationalizing the myriad definitions of RJ, DJ, and DCD. I believe that work should fall to a Historian who specializes in Folk Culture.

FWIW,
Mike Steinberger

On 09/17/2010 03:55 PM, fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

My understanding is that F/2 jitter is the same as Tx_DCD in AMI, which makes all even bits (regardless logic 1 or 0) longer (or shorter) than odd bits.

I am not sure what the definitions of uncorrelated jitter and pulse width jitter are.

Regards,

Fangyi