[ibis-macro] Re: PAM4 thresholds and directionality

  • From: "Bob Ross" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>, "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:29:16 -0700

All,

The easiest way to resolve this is to permit all PAM4 parameters (Thresholds
and

*EyeOffsets) to be declared in TX models ("any" in BIRD178.2), but add
statements in

the specification that these declarations are either (1) ignored, (2) used
unless

overridden by Rx declarations, or (3) overridden completely by Rx
declarations

(including default values). I do not know which choice would be
functionally

preferred.

Even in RX models, all of the PAM4 parameters are permitted, even if unused,

such as when the Modulation is omitted or declared as "NRZ". So ignoring or
overriding

declared PAM4 parameters in TX models would be consistent with PAM4
declaration

rules for RX models.

This proposed resolution could be done by the Editorial committee, based on

ATM committee guidance, as an editorial clarification.

Any other solution is a technical change (as in pending BIRD172.2) and
cannot

be adopted unless BIRD172.2 is approved and added into the Specification, or
unless a

separate, fully vetted BIRD is approved and added. Then the parser can
check

against documented rules.

Bob