[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 7 May 2013 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:29:48 -0400

Minutes from the 7 May 2013 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 07 May 2013

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                    * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Altera:                     * David Banas
                              Julia Liu
                              Hazlina Ramly
Andrew Joy Consulting:        Andy Joy
ANSYS:                        Samuel Mertens
                            * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
                              Steve Pytel
                              Luis Armenta
Arrow Electronics:            Ian Dodd
Cadence Design Systems:       Terry Jernberg
                            * Ambrish Varma
                              Feras Al-Hawari
                              Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
Cavium Networks:              Johann Nittmann
Celsionix:                    Kellee Crisafulli
Cisco Systems:                Ashwin Vasudevan
                              Syed Huq
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM:                          Greg Edlund
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
Maxim Integrated Products:    Mahbubul Bari
                              Hassan Raghat
                              Ron Olisar
Mentor Graphics:              John Angulo
                              Zhen Mu
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                              Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:          * Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
NetLogic Microsystems:        Ryan Couts
Nokia-Siemens Networks:       Eckhard Lenski
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                            * Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                            * Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla
                              Ray Anderson

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi

- Walter: Hope to discuss my email today

- None

- Walter working on clearer flow document for Redrivers.

- Walter to write new BIRD for [Repeater/Retimer Pin] keywords.
  - in progress

No interconnect Task group report

PI & SI simulations with legacy IBIS model
- Arpad: Has draft 8 of Walter's BIRD been posted?
- Walter: No
- Walter: Power voltage far from that used for model derivation
  will cause inaccuracies
- Arpad: The IBIS Data Derivation section does not require simulation at Pullup
reference voltage
- Walter: For legacy IBIS models, yes
  - For [External Model] no assumption can be made about how to handle other
voltages
- Arpad: It is not true that voltage should be between min and max, for example
  - We might need some editorial cleanup
- Walter motioned to send this issue to the editorial committee
- Bob seconded the motion
- No one opposed

BIRD 156 IBIS-AMI Extension for Mid-Channel Redriver
- Arpad showed the email from Walter, which has 3 bullets:

  - 1) Only discusses TD simulation
    - Walter: Need to discuss this with Fangyi
    - Todd: We need to see how it fits with 10.2.1. and 10.2.2 in the existing
spec
    - Fangyi: We assume the EDA tool can figure out statistical once the TD
flow is known
      - I can add that to the BIRD
    - Bob: There is a different flow for redriver
    - Fangyi: The only difference is constructing the impulse response
    - Walter: The IBIS 5.1 flow is used for each channel, upstream and
downstream
      - The only question is the waveform given to the redriver TX
    - Ambrish: The stimulus is different

  - 2) Combinations of Init_Returns_Impulse and GetWave_Exists
    - Walter: The primary TX gets digital stimulus
      - The redriver TX gets a different stimulus
    - Fangyi: The redriver TX is not event driven
    - Arpad: Does the BIRD describe this?
    - Fangyi: Yes
    - Arpad showed BIRD 156
    - Bob: The terms "upstream" and "downstream" should be defined
    - Mike: Numbers should be used, there can be more than two
    - Radek: The BIRD introduction makes it clear
    - Arpad: That will not go into the spec
    - Bob: This needs to describe output and input impedances
    - Fangyi: That is described (Arpad highlighted)
    - Bob: That was not an assumption for all AMI models
    - Walter: Between each TX and RX is an analog channel
      - Between each RX and TX is an algorithmic channel
      - Every analog channel is analyzed the same way
      - The issue is how to analyze the RX to TX channels
      - If RX has no GetWave, how to generate waveform for TX?
    - Ambrish: IBIS 5.1 describes this
      - You convolve the stimulus with the impulse response
    - Fangyi: For this diagram it doesn't matter if GetWave is used
    - Arpad: If the left channel has no GetWave the output will have to be
      convolved to get the second TX input
      - This will have to be specified
    - Todd: The only valid statistical flow is when they all have Init
      - It's not hard to figure out, but it has to be specified
    - Arpad: This is bringing back Use_Init_Output
    - Todd: SiSoft never agreed with Use_Init_Output
    - Fangyi: We should not have to get into this now
    - Todd: What needs to be done is not said
    - Fangyi: It is in step 7
    - Todd: I'm not sure that works, this is RX to TX
    - Fangyi: It is always RX to TX
    - Walter: We should not have to debate that it works, we just need to
specify it
    - Ambrish: We have been doing it
    - Todd: We probably are all doing the same thing, but it is not specified
    - Walter suggested a sentence that would specify what is needed
    - Fangyi: That is what step 8 says
    - Todd: Most likely the RX is GetWave only and the TX is Init only
      - How is that handled?
    - Fangyi: Follow step 8
    - Arpad: We still need to describe how the left channel connects to the
right
    - Todd: What if the RX does not have GetWave?
    - Fangyi: It still has an output waveform
    - Todd: Step 8 says "output waveform of the redriver's input algorithmic
model"
    - Arpad: Init has no waveform
    - Ambrish: It is the waveform maintained by the simulator, the channel
waveform
    - Walter: No cases require deconvolution, we should be able to describe all
cases
      - We only need to describe the redriver RX to TX path flow

    - Ambrish: We should refer to channels by number

    - Arpad: An Init only TX can only receive an impulse response, not a
waveform
    - Walter: On page 2 a word "output" should be "input"
    - Fangyi: Agree

  - 3) Jitter and Noise
    - Walter: We should not prohibit noise modeling in redrivers
    - Fangyi: How can you add jitter to an analog waveform?
    - Todd: It will be handled elsewhere
    - Walter: It says GetWave handles noise, but Gaussian can't be handled there
    - Todd: We mostly suggest not precluding it here, from a standards viewpoint
      - Dropping the paragraph would do it
    - Fangyi: We will look at that

AR: Fangyi update BIRD 156 per task group feedback

Next meeting: 14 May 2013 12:00pm PT

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives