[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 5 dec 2006 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Doug White \(dowhite\)" <dowhite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:19:16 -0500

  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
* Walter Katz, SiSoft
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx

Dates for upcoming IBIS-ATM meetings:

12/12 will have meeting
12/19 may be too close to holidays, decide whether to meet on this date at the
12/12 meeting
12/26 no meeting
1/2 no meeting
1/9 resume meetings

- Mike update macro library documentation
  Will do it this week

- IEEE 1076c:  No one has tried to access this.
Arpad:  We should at least glance at this to make sure we aren't reinventing
the wheel.
Mike M.:  Sent spreadsheet to Mike L.  Mike L. to post to website.

- Pole-zero approach specifics description
Ian:  We've closed this, SiSoft agrees with Ian that the PZ approach may be
more accurate.
Arpad:  But the question was whether it would work with the current API
proposal?
Ian:  No, this API targets an impulse-response approach.

- Bird proposal from Cadence on API
In progress, initial draft sent.

- Public Domain HSpice Syntax
Todd:  No update

- IBIS 4.2 Changes
Arpad:  Still needs to work on

Impulse-reponse vs. Pole-zero:

- Kumar: "One man's pole-zero can be another man's ???"
- Joe: IBM ships S-param models.
- Ian: Pole-zero and S-param are interchangable.
  - Conversion is expensive, but done only once.
- Joe:  We need to balance desire for flexibility against the need for
interoperability!
- Arpad:  Would the model-creator need to prepare a different model depending
on what the simulation tool technology is?
- Kumar:  Should not need to
- Arpad:  Then perhaps there is no issue.
- Kumar:  Perhaps the Init() function needs to work with frequency-domain data.

BIRD Review

- Kumar:  Would like to put current BIRD forward for formal consideration...we
can always modify
- Hemant:  Summary of BIRD is that model comes from API vendor, interactions
between channel and model happen through the API

AR:  Ian to work with Cadence to modify the BIRD to accommodate
frequency-domain approach (pole-zero)

- Bob: Cadence BIRD proposal looks OK so far.
- Arpad:  Can AMI name include full path to avoid the DLL problem?
- Kumar:  Good point, this is a real issue to be resolved...could we add a
variable called "path" ?

- Todd: this proposal is implementation-specific
  - Why not make it simple?
  - EDA tool can not know what the allowable parameters are.
  - Make sure we are passing the correct data.
- Kumar: Init() accepts those parameters as a string, but the format
  is unspecified.
- Todd: user will want to know what tap settings were chosen
  No way in API to pass this back out.
- Todd: Init() encodes TX+channel+RX - how to use this?
- "Computer science" issues.
-  Todd:  We have no facility to do swept parameter analysis as an EDA tool
with this method...or only could do by hand-editing the
IBIS file.
-  Todd:  We need an explicit "dictionary" for each model to describe the
parameters.  We need more so that model can actually return
parameters to the EDA tool for it's own use.
- Arpad:  This proposal is vague.
- Joe:  Todd is saying the proposal is implementation-specific, but the fact is
that it IS very open to change.
- Todd:  We'll try and articulate what we'd like to see
- Joe:  In what timeframe?
- Hoping to have something for the next DesignCon

AR: SiSoft will propose changes to API BIRD, or make a counter-proposal

Next meeting: Tuesday 12 Dec 2006 12:00pm PT