[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 30 Sep 2014 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:34:04 -0400

Minutes from the 30 Sep 2014 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 30 September 2014

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Altera:                     * David Banas
ANSYS:                      * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
Avago (LSI)                   Xingdong Dai
Cadence Design Systems:     * Ambrish Varma
                              Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                            * Ken Willis
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
Keysight Technologies:        Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Maxim Integrated Products:    Hassan Rafat
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                            * Arpad Muranyi
Micron Technology:          * Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
                              Andy Joy
eASIC                         Marc Kowalski
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                            * Todd Westerhoff
                            * Mike LaBonte
Synopsys                      Rita Horner
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross

(Note: Agilent has changed to Keysight)

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi.

- Arpad will be traveling, may not be able to run the meeting next week.
- Todd will be away also.
- The meeting will still be held, Arpad will ask John to chair.

- None

- Todd produce slides for co-optimization requirements discussion next week.
  - Not done.

- Arpad to review IBIS spec for min max issues.
  - In progress.

BIRD 147.1:

- Walter showed a presentation "BCI Generic Protocol".
- slide 2:
  - Walter: This was sent to Cadence for an opinion on whether it could be an
IBIS approved protocol.
    - This uses both "Back-channel" and "Link training" so everyone understands.
    - Cadence said this could be a private protocol but not approved.
- slide 3:
  - Walter: The evaluator path is blue here.
    - The TX must be able to tell the RX when it can't complete a request.
    - The protocol is yellow.
- slide 4:
  - Walter this is a generic protocol.
- slide 6:
  - Walter described a TX BCI parameter example with both indexes and
coefficients.
  - Bob: Would those be reserved names?
  - Walter: The protocol defines these names.
  - David: This is a mode where TX DLLs have to be recompiled to do this?
  - Walter: Yes.
- slide 7:
  - Walter: The AMI format is useful for documenting the protocol.
    - Calling it "InOut" is not quite compatible with AMI language.
    - This is documentation, the tools and DLLs do not read this.
- slide 8:
  - Walter described an RX BCI parameter example.
  - Walter: It can send either indexes, coefficients, or increments.
- slide 9:
  - Walter: The TX reports back how it handled the request.
    - It reports the coefficients actually used.
- slide 10:
  - Walter: The RX may make more adjustments or switch to GetWave optimization
flow.
    - An additional Init call might be made for statistical analysis using
GetWave results.
    - There might be multiple time domain iterations.
  - Radek: This keeps the flow with the AMI description.
  - Walter: It means TX Init is re-entrant.
    - The ** pointer would initially be NULL.
    - Or we might want a different entry point for this.
- slide 11:
  - Walter: This is not in BIRD 147.
    - It adds reserved Training_State in the AMI file.
    - The RX is much "smarter" than the TX.
    - There are also reserved Training_Protocol and Training_Pattern parameters.
- slide 11:
  - Walter: This was the reply from Cadence.
- slide 12:
  - Walter: A number of vendors agree the TX is very general purpose.
    - RX buffers report the eye at the decision point.
    - The logic to search the tap solution space is not clear.
    - IP providers may hesitate to reveal their secret sauce.

- slide 6:
  - David: Why can't this be communicated by AMI file?
  - Walter: It could be, but the RX needs to have this information.
    - They would be AMI reserved parameters.
    - New parameters are not likely soon, but would required new reserved
parameters.
  - Radek: Why would this not require recompiling the TX?
  - David: It doesn't change. Once in the AMI file I am done.
  - Walter: It could be in AMI but we want to be able to dynamically report tap
settings.
    - That would require recompilation.
  - David: You proposed that only the range needs to be known.
  - Walter: That was Init training, not GetWave training.
    - TX models can have integer parameters for each tap.
    - We have to tell the EDA tool which tap is which.
    - The tool would get response after changing settings.
  - David: Existing TX models could not participate in GetWave training.
    - But they could participate in Init training.
  - Ambrish: BIRD 147 does not go there, but another BIRD could.

- slide 14:
  - Walter: Another BIRD could be combined with this.
    - We still have to say which tap is which.
    - The purpose here is to propose something that is compliant with BIRD 147.
    - It would allow TXs and RXs to work together.
  - Ken: You can have private protocols, but it doesn't have to be part of this
BIRD.
  - Todd: Cadence seems to be reversing position.
    - The question is if we can define parameters beyond what the BIRD defines.
    - We asked if a "framis" could be defined in a "ibis_" standard BCI file.
    - It could be a jitter number, anything.
  - Ambrish: The BCI file can have what the committee approves.

- Walter: Ambrish should explain the last sentence on slide 12.
  - It prohibits "generic" parameters.
- Ambrish: It has to belong to some existing protocol.
- Todd: What on slide 6 is not eligible for standardization?
- Ambrish: Which protocol is it?
- Todd: Who decides what is industry standard?
  - Only approved industry bodies are eligible.
- Ken: If you make your own I still expect any compliant tool to work with the
models.

- Todd: If a handful of silicon vendors decide on a protocol can that be
standard?
- Ambrish: Why does it need to be standard?
- Todd: Once we agree, we like a stamp of approval.
- Ambrish: When the time is right you can ask an organization to standardize it.
- John: It might not correspond to what any hardware does.
- Todd: Ambrish, you are saying yes, it would be eligible for standardization.
- Ambrish: The intention was to call only IEEE protocols standard.
- Todd: That should be in the BIRD, but it might sink it.
- Ken: Industry standard means it is published for global use.
- Arpad: What if IEEE came up with a generic standard?
- Todd: The question is if 3 or 4 companies could create a standard BCI by
their own agreement.
  - There should be a yes or no answer.

- Ken: Where would the new parameters be?
- Walter: It is all protocol specific in this example.
- John: BIRD 147 gives List parameters, but it really would be a value in the
end.
- Walter: BIRD 147 is confusing on that.
- Ambrish: Disagree that it is confusing.

- Todd: We need BCI files to be standardized because our customers will want
that.
- John: The first issue is what is allowed in BIRD 147.
  - We need to talk about doing both modes in the same model.
  - That is not clear in the current BIRD.
- Ken: A legal but non-standard BCI file should work in any compliant tool.
  - We will respond to Todd's question.

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives