[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 27 Jul 2010 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:47:27 -0500

Minutes from the 27 Jul 2010 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 27 July 2010

Members (asterisk for those attending):
  Adge Hawes, IBM
* Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
  Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Brad Brim, Sigrity
  Brad Griffin, Cadence Design Systems
  Chris Herrick, Ansoft
  Chris McGrath, Synopsys
* Danil Kirsanov, Ansoft
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Deepak Ramaswany, Ansoft
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
* Eckhard Lenski, Nokia-Siemens Networks
  Eckhard Miersch, Sigrity
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
* Fangyi Rao, Agilent
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
  Gang Kang, Sigrity
  Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd, consultant
  Jerry Chuang, Xilinx
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
* Ken Willis, Sigrity
  Kellee Crisafulli, Celsionix
  Kumar Keshavan, Sigrity
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco Systems
  Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
  Mustansir Fanaswalla, Xilinx
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Pavani Jella, TI
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Komow, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Mellitz, Intel
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Samuel Mertens, Ansoft
  Sam Chitwood, Sigrity
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Scott McMorrow, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Shangli Wu, Cadence Design Systems
  Sid Singh, Extreme Networks
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Steve Kaufer, Mentor Graphics
  Steve Pytel, Ansoft
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
  Ted Mido, Synopsys
  Terry Jernberg, Cadence Design Systems
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov, Mentor Graphics
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft
  Wenyi Jin, LSI Logic
  Zhen Mu, Mentor Graphics

- Arpad: May want to discuss a new BIRD

- none

- Michael M. contact Synopsys about line continuation inconsistency
  - MM sent email to say he may not be able to join us
  - Todd: I will be taking that task

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
          for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
          parameter passing syntax of the AMI models

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
          - [External ...] also?
          - TBD

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
          - Deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

Arpad: Any questions before we vote?
- Ambrish: What are the 3 bullet items?
- Arpad: Walter had a separate BIRD in addition to his flow BIRD
  - It is an enhancement to his original proposal
- Ken: What is the summary of changes?
- Arpad:

Vote: Which flow BIRD should be submitted to Open Forum?
  - Walter's proposal
  - Arpad's proposal
- Roll call vote:
  Agilent             Arpad's proposal
  Ansoft              Walter's proposal
  Cadence             Walter's proposal
  Cisco               Walter's proposal
  Mentor              Arpad's proposal
  Micron              abstain
  Nokia-Siemens       abstain
  Sigrity             Walter's proposal
  SiSoft              Walter's proposal
  Teraspeed           Walter' proposal
  Intel               abstain
- Final tally:
  - Arpad: 2
  - Walter: 6
  - abstain: 3
- Walter's proposal will be submitted to the Open Forum

Arpad: Any comment on the text of Walter's BIRD?
- Walter showed his BIRD document
- The date has been changed to today's date
- Arpad: Page 7 Step 1 introduces Touchstone with no clue how it would be
  brought in
- Walter: Several vendors use Touchstone to represent analog behavior
  - It has some filtering effect
  - The buffer itself can have filtering that is included in impulse response
- Kumar: The channel model can include anything
- Walter removed the Touchstone reference
- Fangyi: Does analog include I/V and V/T?
- Kumar: Yes
- Ambrish: How can s-params be used in an IBIS framework?
- Walter: One way is to put it in an AMI file
- Ambrish: There should be an introduction before section 3
- Walter renamed section 3 to "Reference Flows"
- Arpad: Page 8 has 6a and 6c but no 6b
- Ambrish: Would like another week to read this
- Arpad: This should be ready for submission?
- Walter: I can send a PDF to Mike for posting to Open Forum
- Bob: For Open Forum it should be a text document
  - Ambrish requested another week to look at the proposal
- Walter: If there are changes the vote can be delayed
- Bob: Why vote if it's not ready?
- Walter: The Init_Returns_Filter BIRD is very simple

Walter showed the Init_Returns_Filter BIRD:
- It has the same name but the logic is different
- The usage was Info, type Boolean, default False
- Existing models would do what they do now
- New models would work the same in old tools
- If True the filter impulse response is returned
- No EDA tool changes are needed
- This could be merged into the other BIRD
- Bob: That would be preferable
- Arpad: We are targeting IBIS 5.1
  - We should decide based on how clean 5.1 will be with and without
- Bob: This affects only section 6
- Walter: We could vote on the concept before deciding on the merge
- Kumar: The complexity is of concern
  - Model makers may be confused
  - This will not affect TD flow?
- Arpad: This eliminates deconvolution
- Kumar: That is a special case, probably rare
- Todd: This is not that rare
  - Our model have GetWave even if LTI
  - When running both you have to deconvolve for TD
- Ken: Tools can catch that
- Todd: Any tool vendor can detect problems and raise a flag
  - This will become more prevalent
- Kumar: This makes it more complicated
- Todd: We have made model making simpler
  - The split model was complicated, but we eliminated it
- Ken: Do we introduce new syntax for this combination?
- Arpad: This is useful is deconvolution is OK
- Ken: The BIRDs should be kept separate
- Todd: This will impact the other BIRD
  - Walter proposes merging them in advance
- Bob: We should decide on that now
- Ken: It is supported in a tool specific way
- Arpad: We should have read this and be ready to vote on this BIRD
- Bob: We need more time
  - The syntax is wrong
  - A few other problems
- Walter: This is the syntax passed into the DLL
  - I can send this for discussion next week

AR: Walter send updated Init_Returns_Filter BIRD to list and Mike for posting

Todd: Model makers can't know they will have this problem combination
- Ken: They can always make TX a dual model
  - RX models will always work
- Walter: They will work on stat flow
  - Problem if not LTI
  - How would you apply RX equalization?
  - You would lose TX jitter
- Todd: We need the presentation on what the problem actually is
  - Ken has a point
- Ambrish: We should always use TX Init with it
- Todd: We are nowhere close to closure

Arpad: I have a new BIRD to discuss next week
- Walter showed Arpad's new BIRD
- Arpad: This addresses character issues
  - We need to define white space in .AMI files
  - It is nearly done other than that

Next meeting: 03 August 2010 12:00pm PT

--------

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List: