[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 26 Aug 2014 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:45:02 -0400

Minutes from the 26 Aug 2014 ibis-atm meeting are attached. Documents presented in the meeting are uploaded to the work archive at http://www.eda.org/ibis/macromodel_wip/archive-date.html

Meeting date: 26 August 2014

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Altera:                       David Banas
ANSYS:                        Dan Dvorscak
                              Curtis Clark
Avago (LSI)                   Xingdong Dai
Cadence Design Systems:       Ambrish Varma
                              Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
Keysight Technologies:      * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Maxim Integrated Products:    Hassan Rafat
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                            * Arpad Muranyi
Micron Technology:            Randy Wolff
                              Justin Butterfield
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
                              Andy Joy
eASIC                         Marc Kowalski
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                            * Todd Westerhoff
                            * Mike LaBonte
Synopsys                      Rita Horner
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross

(Note: Agilent has changed to Keysight)

The meeting was led by Arpad Muranyi.

- None

- None

- Arpad write BIRD for double quote problem
  - Done

- Ambrish investigate other ways to communicate tap coefficients
  - In progress
  - Arpad: Ambrish expects to give an update next week.

- Arpad to review IBIS spec for min max issues.
  - In progress

BIRD 128:
- Arpad: This is on hold until the Friday open forum.
  - It is now scheduled for a vote in the next Open Forum.
  - Do we need to keep it on our agenda?
- Radek: We need clarifications on some things:
  - Parameters to be included and excluded.
  - The possibility a DLL might read something uninitialized.
- Walter: I proposed only a way to get "things" into AMI_GetWave.
  - It would be safest to have a NULL when nothing is in there.
  - I believe BIRD 147 calls for a string with the TX root and BCI data.
- Radek: We might be opening the door for misinterpretation.
- Walter: I would not object to having additional clarifications.
- Arpad: Do we wait for the Open Forum to send this back to us?
- Radek: We should be able to fix it now and communicate it to the Open Forum.
- Arpad: We can make changes within a week and still have the vote.
- Radek: Or the vote could be delayed if people register concerns.
- Arpad: We do not have Ambrish today, he should be involved.
- Radek: I might try to get it done by Friday.

AR: Radek work with Walter and Ambrish on BIRD 128.1 clarifications.

Double Quote BIRD draft:
- Arpad showed QuoteCharBIRD_draft01.docx.
- Arpad: This has a few concepts discussed here and in the Open Forum meeting.
  - There are restrictions on which files it applies to.
  - One section applies AMI files and another to DLL strings.
- Arpad added "types" to the document.
- Radek: It could say "all files covered by IBIS specification".
- Arpad: We have a number of specifications.
- John: We don't want to implicitly say DLLs need to follow ASCII rules.
- Bob: ASCII does not distinguish between left and right double quote?
- Arpad: Extended ASCII does, but not the original 7 bit ASCII.
  - The standard is ANSI X3.4-1986.
- Walter: Touchstone can have binary files.
- John: We can have "except as otherwise allowed".
- Arpad: This is only about files in the IBIS standard.
- Walter: I like John's suggestion.
- Mike: "otherwise allowed by" what?
- Arpad: We could explicitly exclude the types that don't apply.
- Bob: That is too much information.
- Mike: The IBIS specification can not make declaration about other specs.
- Arpad: We have to say which file types this applies too.
- Arpad: We might say it doesn't apply to Verilog, for example.
- Mike: Does IBIS have general rules that apply to all of those file types?
- Arpad: Not sure.
  - One problem is that some files do not have fixed extensions.
  - For example a package file does not have to be .pkg.
- Bob: The checker searches for .pkg files automatically.
- Arpad: I will leave this BIRD as is.

AR: Arpad send double quote BIRD draft to Mike for posting
AR: Mike post double quote BIRD draft

MinMax BIRD draft:
- Arpad showed MinMaxBIRD_draft01.docx.
- Arpad: The keywords shown are scoped at the same level.
  - We might have to apply this rule at the component level.
  - Also we have Series keywords that might be independent.
  - Package and EBD might be independent too.
- Mike: Could this just be an IBISCHK warning?
- Arpad: The model maker should be aware.
  - Tools need to know how to treat the data.
- Mike: We might have a [Component] keyword to say which corners are present.
- Bob: [External Circuit] can make this messy.
  - We should have a rule that all columns are filled in.
  - We allow NAs but should not recommend it.
- Arpad: We should be able to make models from lab measurements.
  - These have to be regarded as typical.
- Bob: Highly recommending min and max would be good.
- Walter: I would worry about getting bad data.
  - We could have a rule that if some are supplied then all must.
  - It should be limited to things that affect the IV characteristics of a
buffer.
- Bob: It should apply to all parameters, SubModel, etc..
- Arpad: Some keywords like Series ones are independent from the curves.
- Bob: It would not include package keywords.
- Arpad: Test Load poses additional problems.
- Bob: Someone might use a min package with a min model, effectively mixing
fast and slow.
- Mike: If we do require min and max then they should not be identical to
typical.
- Radek: We have to allow for individual lines with NA in V-T and I-V tables.

AR: Arpad send MinMax BIRD draft to Mike for posting
AR: Mike post MinMax BIRD draft

Next meeting: 02 September 2014 12:00pm PT

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List:

1) Simulator directives