[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 20 Nov 2007 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:42:19 -0500

Minutes from the 20 Nov 2007 ibis-atm meeting are attached. ARs:

AR: Walter coordinate completion of true diff BIRD draft
AR: Michael M. draft Eye keywords for true diff BIRD
AR: Randy draft derating keywords for true diff BIRD

Meeting date: 20 Nov 2007

Members (asterisk for those attending):
* Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
  Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
* Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd
  Joe Abler, IBM
  John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar, Cadence Design Systems
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft

No one declared a patent.

-----
Opens:

- Michael M. asked about a combined interconnect group meeting
   - Dec 4 meeting
  - General approval of this

- Arpad: Rich Mellitz has agreed to present to us Dec 12
  - He is in Intel packaging & interconnect
  - DesignCon research in SerDes

- Cadence: Distribute a Windows version of the Rx DLL
  - done

- Walter: Start a [Diff Model] BIRD draft
  - in progress

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
  for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
  parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
  - not done

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
  [External ...] also?

- Arpad:  Contact Rich Mellitz to see whether he is willing to
  talk about his LTI research
  - done, plans to give us a presentation on 12/12 for us

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
  - deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

Walter showed his ideas for the diff pin enhancements BIRD:
  - [Diff_model]
    - Has "Active_high model" and "Active_low model" references
  - [Impedance_model]
    - Reactive load may be LTI:
      - No I/V curves needed
      - Impedance will suffice
    - Needs to be complex numbers
  - [Algorithmic Model] as-is
  - [External Model] as-is
  - [Receiver Thresholds] as-is
  - [Derate_min] & [Derate_max]
  - [tVAC]
  - [Eye_template]
- All other keywords are under [Diff_model]
- Mike L.: Should be an [End Diff_pair] keyword
- Pseudo & True differential:
  - Differ by how much current can flow between pins
- Randy: Can derating keywords be used for single-ended?
  - Walter: Different values would be used, so different keywords
  - Not sure if a receiver can be both
- Arpad: Are we instantiating a model from a model?
  - Walter: We are instantiating a model from a diff model
- Arpad: We are assigning both single-ended and diff models to pins
  - Why should we have both?
  - Walter: This supports part-time differential pins
    - We may not need [Diff_model] at all
    - Adding diff keywords to existing [Model] is fine
- Michael M.: The original IBIS assumption has been violated
  - Arpad: Nodal connectivity has not been violated
  - Michael M.: [External Model] for true differential is an exception
- Arpad: Should all of the new keywords be in one BIRD or split up?
  - Walter: They should all be in one BIRD
  - Mike L.:Maybe Derating should be separate
- Arpad asked if someone could help drafting the BIRD
  - Michael M. offered to help

Arpad: Should we write another BIRD to add End keywords where needed?
- Michael M. concerned about time spent
- New keywords would be required for IBIS_ver 5 files only

Walter: In the timing world everything is in ns
- Area would be V-ps
- Arpad: sometimes see 1e+15ps, which is not very usable

AR: Walter coordinate completion of true diff BIRD draft
AR: Michael M. draft Eye keywords for true diff BIRD
AR: Randy draft derating keywords for true diff BIRD

Next meeting: 27 Nov 2007 12:00pm PT