[ibis-interconn] Re: Why is not the contents of Touchstone file not Transfer Functions

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:09:51 -0700

Walter:

From a strict reading of the definition, you could draw the
conclusion that a particular Xij parameter over a frequency
range defines an input/output relationship, and therefore
could be designated as a "transfer function."

However, I am still not comfortable with "transfer function"
in the context of N-port parameter descriptions for many
reasons.

1. Common practice - I have not seen anyone else  refer to the
N-port parameter Xij terms as "transfer functions," either at
a single frequency or as the collection of terms for that
particular Xij entry.  We should stick with commonly used
terminology.

2. Single function - While the definition could be expanded to
a matrix input/output relationship, the language implies a single
output produced by a single input and seems to imply the functional
mathematical relationship.   The Xij entry at one frequency is
the transfer function of j to i at that frequency only when
the other inputs of the matrix - all other ports are terminated.
From the matrix perpective, the output is a function of multiple
inputs.  Also the functional relationship might imply a
collection of such Xij(f) for each frequency individually or
for the whole set of frequencies for the Xij term.

3. Transfer Function - this seems as a mathematical expression (referred
to as complex exponentials) as opposed to the specific data entries or
quanties on a per-frequency basis in the definition.  I read that
to mean a mathematical function relatinship as opposed to
a collection of terms.

4. Filter design practice - I recall a distinction in (driving
point) impedance/admittances for the same terminal versus
a transfer function gain/(trans)impedance/(trans) admittance for
different physical terminals.  That is the terminology conflict
in a related field.

------

Anyway, I think finding terms that are used in common practice for
S-parameters and N-port parameters entries and distinguishing whether
we are describing a specific entry at one frequency or a set of Xij
entries for all frequencies is better practice.

Bob

Walter Katz wrote:
All,

See http://cnx.org/content/m0028/latest/ for better graphics.

Is not the Touchstone file exactly this?

The ratio of the output and input amplitudes for Figure 1 <http://cnx.org/content/m0028/latest/#rc#rc>, known as the transfer function or the frequency response, is given by

Vout

Vin

=

H(

f)

=

1

ⅈ2πfRC

+1

(1)

Implicit in using the transfer function is that the input is a complex exponential, and the output is also a complex exponential having the same frequency. The transfer function reveals how the circuit modifies the input amplitude in creating the output amplitude. Thus, the transfer function completely describes how the circuit processes the input complex exponential to produce the output complex exponential. The circuit's function is thus summarized by the transfer function. In fact, circuits are often designed to meet transfer function specifications. Because transfer functions are complex-valued, frequency-dependent quantities, we can better appreciate a circuit's function by examining the magnitude and phase of its transfer function (Figure 2 <http://cnx.org/content/m0028/latest/#magphase#magphase>).

Walter

Walter Katz

Chief Scientist

Signal Integrity Software, Inc.

wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx

303.449-2308

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC