[ibis-interconn] IBIS Interconnect Task Gourp Feb. 24, 2010 Minutes and Mar. 3, 2010 Agenda

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-Interconnect <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:39:30 -0800

(Draft 13 attached.)

Next Meeting
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
9 AM US Pacific Time

               Telephone     Bridge   Passcode
              916-356-2663     5      784-1578

(for international and alternate US numbers, contact Michael Mirmak)

Live Meeting: http://tinyurl.com/yzo768q

or:

https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/sisoft/join?id=M462B6&role=attend&pw=P9%3D8%3BP%277b

Agenda:
- Attendence
- Call for patents
- Opens
- Model Connection Protocol (tentative)
- Binary syntax proposal (tentative)
- Sparse Matrix Mapping TSIRD status

Minutes from February 24, 2010:

Attendees:
----------
(* denotes present)
Agilent                    - Radek Biernacki*, John Moore, Ken Wong
Ansoft                     - Denis Soldo
Cadence Design Systems     - Terry Jernberg, Brad Griffin
Green Streak Programs      - Lynne Green
Hewlett-Packard            - Rob Elliott
IBM                        - Greg Edlund
Intel                      - Michael Mirmak
Mentor Graphics Corp.      - John Angulo*, Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology          - Randy Wolff
Sigrity                    - Sam Chitwood, Brad Brim
SiSoft                     - Walter Katz
Teraspeed Consulting Group - Bob Ross*

No patents were announced.

Opens - None

SPARSE MATRIX DRAFT 12 REVIEW

We reviewed Draft 12 and agreed with the changes that Brad Brim had
done.  Draft 12 included a middle option concerning the sparse-label
mapping rule that were sent out earlier.  The only addition was
to add a sentence requiring '(' not to be the first character.

--------

A sparse-label is a string of one or more ASCII characters, as defined
in the General Syntax Rules and Guidelines section.The last character
of this string shall be the colon character ‘:’. The colon character
may not appear in the string other than as the last character. Whitespace
(space 20h or tab 09h) or a line termination (LF 0Ah or CR 0Dh) shall
not occur in the string. A sparse-label shall not begin with an open
parenthesis ‘(’, though this character may be present for any character
other than the first or last in the string. A sparse-label may consist
of only the colon character - a one character string “:”.

--------

After some discussion we also will add a line to exclude the comment
character '!' as part of a sparse-label.  Bob Ross noted that in most
cases a parser will report a failure anyway because of incorrect
':' colon count due to the ':' being hidden as part of a comment. However,
we chose  to state an explicit restriction.

All the participants accepted all the above changes.  Bob
will edit in the change and use this as a basis for a TSIRD proposal
to be introduced at the March 12 IBIS Open Forum meeting for review
and outside comments.  We discussed some of the IBIS processes, but
we do expect to vote on this TSIRD after an appropriate review period.

Walter Katz plans to implement the new syntax and will report back
if he discovers any problems.

Revisions necessary in other parts of a future Touchstone 2.1 draft
will be handled separately.  For example the File Format Description
section on page 5 needs the two new keywords added.  Also the Example
numbers need to be inserted based on where the new keywords are
documented.

BINARY ENCODING

Bob stated that the Interconnect Task Group will need a draft
proposal on this topic.  We plan to start with the IBM syntax as
presented by Greg Edlund but we may decide to deviate if we discover
issues.  For example, we considered whether we need to deal with
different operating system precision ranging from 32 to 128 bits
(and beyond) more explicitly.

Bob will contact people to see if someone wants to author an
initial draft.  Like the Sparse Matrix Mapping proposal, it would
be formatted as a seperate section for Touchstone 2.1.

FUTURE PLANS

Bob discussed the future plans.  The Model Connection Protocol may
be ready for presentation at the next meeting, and it will be the
major topic.  If a draft Binary Encoding section is available, we
could start on it as well.

We might consider doing a complete editorial revision of Touchstone 2.0
to re-structure its content into more sections. That is the way the
current proposals are being structured.  We might also do some editorial
revisions to comply more closely with official standardization formatting
rules.

NEXT MEETING

Model Connection Protocol introduction and the binary encoding
syntax are the primary topics planned for the next meeting.

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC