[ibis-interconn] Connecting Pad Supply Terminals

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'IBIS-Interconnect'" <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 10:48:54 -0400 (EDT)

All,

The logic of connecting supply interconnect models between package model
pad nodes and on-die model pad nodes is straightforward, and can be
described by discussing the following 6 cases:

Side A Side B

1. Pad_name pad_name

2. Pad_name bus_label

3. Pad_name signal_name

4. Bus_label bus_label

5. Bus_label signal_name

6. Signal_name signal_name

Note that the logic for the three cases exclude are handle by switching
the Side A and Side B conditions:

1. Bus_label pad_name

2. Signal_name bus_label

3. Signal_name signal_name

Side A Side B

1. Pad_name pad_name

a. Simple one to one mapping

2. Pad_name bus_label

a. All A Pad_names have a bus_label

b. Connect the terminal for each bus_label on B to the terminals on A
that have the same bus_label

3. Pad_name signal_name

a. All A Pad_names have a signal_name

b. Connect the terminal for each signal_name on B to the terminals on
A that have the same signal_name

4. Bus_label bus_label

a. Simple one to one mapping

5. Bus_label signal_name

a. All A Pad_names have a signal_name

b. Connect the terminal for each signal_name on B to the terminals on
A that have the same signal_name

6. Signal_name signal_name

a. Simple one to one mapping

This logic is self-evident, I do not think it is a requirement that is be
in the specification. If we decide to put this logic in the specification,
then this would have to be converted to English that is clear.

I point out that there is a requirement that there are one or more Side A
models that need to be able to map all of the supply terminals to one or
more Side B models. Model makers can create Side A and Side B models that
are easy to match and marry. Model makers can create Side A and Side B
models that can be extremely difficult (and sometimes impossible) to match
and marry. For example an impossible set of models:

Side A has one model that has pad names VDD1, VDD2, and VDD3

There are two Side B models:

1. Side B model 1 has pad names VDD1, VDD2

2. Side B model 2 has pad names VDD2, VDD3

I will be attending another standards meeting every Wednesday from 8:30 to
9:30, so either we find another time slot for the Wednesay interconnect
meeting or I will only be able to attend the first thirty minutes of each
meeting.

Walter

Walter Katz

<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx> wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx