[ibis-editorial] Possessive nouns ending in the letter s

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mlabonte@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ibis-editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 17:10:21 -0500

One of the IBIS 7.0 known issues relates to possessive nouns ending in the letter "s" (checklist item 81), the perennial question being whether to place an "s" after the apostrophe. I had mentioned in the meeting today that journalists have been trending toward more use of "s", but a little research shows that this is in flux and agreement is not good. This article <https://www.dailywritingtips.com/possessive-of-proper-names-ending-in-s/> makes it seem so complicated and fraught with peril, that I would suggest not attempting to make changes in this area for the time being.

Mike