[ibis-editorial] Editorial task list status

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mlabonte@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ibis-editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:44:49 -0500

Looking over our latest editorial task list, only 5 tasks remain open:

71 6 Update Versions 6.1 -> 7.0, Full dates first, then years only 2015 -> 2018 and Copyright years, all embedded throughout the document. Should be very final step, for dates/years
72 7 Issue new correction BIRD(s), if needed, identified as a result of the editorial pass and include them Should be the next-to-last step, at Open Forum review

81 16 Treatment of plurals and possessives for keywords, AMI parameters, and reserved words - e.g., [Algorithmic Model]'s,[Algorithmic Model]s (global); possessives correct, but see " external model " and " external circuit "

85 20 Review document for page breaks vs. new sections and subsections After all content changes

91 26 Replace empty paragraph spacing above keyword/parameter/function with styles

I think, if Michael Mirmak agrees, we can close tasks 81 and 91. In the last meeting we fixed four instances of "'s" following bracketed keywords, but also there was general agreement that the rules we are finding about possessives are inconsistent and in flux, putting them "above our pay grade". It would be best to declare victory on that one for now, with the changes we did make.

Regarding task 91, using no empty paragraphs would be my long term goal, and making that change only for the double paragraphs preceding keyword/function/parameter sections would be only a partial measure. In the last two meetings we scanned through most of those and saw that at least the double paragraphs have been fixed to be consistently the same size, etc. Before replacing those with styles, we would first need a fully formed style document, which we could consider for IBIS 7.1. The main advantage of styles is only to automate clean pagination, which is an editorial step we will do manually at the very end anyway. Therefore, even though I proposed it, I think we should close task 91 and move it to the known issues list.

Regarding the possibly misnamed IBIS 7.0 draft known issues list <https://ibis.org/editorial_wip/IBIS-7-known-issues_r1.docx>, some of that is fodder for new BIRDs and most of the rest might be considered in a style guide. None of the items there are like the IBIS 6.1 known issues <https://ibis.org/ver6.1/ver6_1_known_issues.docx> documents that we addressed early on with little contention. We should come up with a better name for it and save it for the future.

With those three matters out of the way, all that would remain would be concrete items such as those raised recently by Arpad Muranyi, and then the final editorial tasks 72, 71, and 85.

Mike